Chapter 29

After leaving the conference room, Daniel hurried into his office and slammed the door as wave after wave of sorrow hit him, making him feel as though he was drowning in it. Tears flowed down his cheeks as he stood there, trying to just breathe.

'Jenna?' he asked Rafe, dreading the answer, though he already knew.

'Mate is very sad right now. Need to go to mate,' Rafe sat down and howled in Daniel's mind.

'I wish we could, Buddy. I wish we could,' Daniel gave up after that. He did the one thing he never allowed himself to do, and let it all go. The sadness and misery for the last year had eaten away at him, and with Jenna's sadness added in, it was all becoming too much for him to keep in any longer. Sobs racked him as he leaned his head against the door.

After several long moments, Daniel collected himself and stood up straight, heaving a small sigh.

'Better?' Rafe asked him curiously. He'd never seen his human break down like that, but it had been needed.

'Yeah. Now I understand why women do it,' Daniel replied, and turned around to his office, only to be met by the shrewd blue eyed gaze of his beta.

Ragnar lifted a blond brow at him, and Daniel groaned. "This had better not leave this office."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Ragnar said, sitting down on the couch. "You finally going to tell me what's going on with you?"

Daniel was actually surprised that the subject of his mate had not come up between the two of them. He was well aware that Ragnar knew something was up with him, though he'd never approached him about it.

"I found my mate," Daniel stated quietly as sat down in a chair.

Both of Ragnar's brows shot up in surprise as he studied Daniel. "And you're crying over it?" The Beta snorted, then his face turned serious. "Tell me, you found her, what? About a year ago? And she rejected you?"

Daniel shook his head. Ragnar was the most patient and detailed person he'd ever met. He wasn't surprised his Beta had figured half of it out. Or that he'd never asked him about it. He knew Daniel would tell him when he was ready to.

He went over the entire story, telling him about finding Jenna and losing her again, about how he'd stupidly marked her, and the four detectives he'd hired to find her, along with the dead ends they inevitably encountered. He told him about Jenna's moods, and about the explosive sadness she and he had both been dealing with that day. "I just ... " he stopped, holding his head in his hands as the urge to cry hit him again.

"She lost someone," Ragnar stated quietly, leaning back in his chair.

Daniel lifted his head and looked up at him. "What?"

"Someone she was close to died," Ragnar stood and moved to the  window, looking out into the night.

Daniel's eyebrows furrowed as his mind raced. 'What do you think, Rafe?'

'It makes more sense than anything I can think of at the moment. Ragnar and Rollo are wise wolves,' Rafe responded. 'Mate is hurting badly. Very sad. She must have lost someone very close to her.'

"You will find her, Daniel. Of that I have no doubt," Ragnar murmured as he turned back to face Daniel.

Daniel stood up. "If her emotions don't kill me first," he said, and left the office. He took the elevator back up to his apartment, then striped his clothes off as he walked back to his bedroom. He threw open the French doors, then leapt off the balcony, letting Rafe take over. His wolf ran into the woods to mourn Jenna's loss.