Chapter 87 - Acceleration (3)

DO NOT VOTE TO AVOID DELETION ⚠️🚫

****

Lee Sang-man, grinning maliciously, blew out a long puff of cigarette smoke toward the close-up camera, close enough to touch if he reached out. The thick smoke covered the camera, then vanished.

The expression on the previously intense face of Lee Sang-man face had changed.

His eerie grin was replaced with a rigid, emotionless face. On the monitor Director Kim Do-hee was watching, Lee Sang-man’s face filled the screen. Despite the blotches from the black soot, splashes of red blood from Professor Kim added a strange vitality.

Director Kim Do-hee stared intently at Lee Sang-man in the monitor, holding her breath.

‘That’s right, the acting is exceptional. Such facial distortions and emotional changes like a joker. It gives me chills every time I see it. Sh*t.’

Compared to his first appearance, Lee Sang-man now seemed like a madman. The drugs had devoured his sanity. But occasionally, even in his madness, Lee Sang-man showed glimpses of his past self.

For a fleeting moment.

Even if he could no longer escape the swamp of addiction.

‘The innate desire to break free, the rationality wanting to survive, breaks through in those fleeting moments.’

Even if she had written it herself, Director Kim Do-hee felt chills seeing something beyond that. How could someone express such contrasting emotions?

‘There’s a mix of malice and loneliness in his eyes. It’s even more absurd how harmonious they are.’

Such expressions weren’t written in the script. It was purely brought out by actor Kang Woojin.

Yet, the eyes conveyed more despair than hope.

Everyone on the set could sense the end of Lee Sang-man’s journey. The portrayal suggested an impending death just through his gaze. Surely, the audience watching Lee Sang-man on the big screen would feel the same.

Then,

– Swoosh.

Lee Sang-man, who had once again taken a long drag of his cigarette, downed another shot of soju.

“……”

With his face buried in the monitor, Director Kim Do-hee shouted into the megaphone.

“Cut! OKOK!! Great – That was perfect!”

With satisfaction evident, Director Kim Do-hee rushed into the shooting zone.

“Woojin! The tension was insane right now. Let’s do one more just like that, this time focusing on the front.”

“Yes, understood, Director.”

The makeup team quickly approached Woojin, who had instantly rid himself of Lee Sang-man’s aura. They needed to adjust his makeup for the re-shoot.

Taking a relieved breath internally, he thought,

‘Whoa, that was close. That brick was much lighter than I thought; I almost flung it too hard.‘

The brick that had killed Professor Kim was actually made of styrofoam by the prop team.

‘I need to apply more strength when holding it. If it goes flying when I throw it, it’ll definitely be an NG.’

At that moment, Park Pan-seo, who had cleaned off his blood makeup, approached Woojin.

“Woojin.”

“Yes, Professor.”