one. the Plinth prize

[ one

[ one. the Plinth prize ]

WALKING INSIDE the crowded auditorium brought back somewhat fond memories that Cassia didn't think she'd have. Many moments of the students sitting and gossiping about the teachers or complaining about the amount of homework they were given. It all felt so distant yet so recent at the same time. She walked past the students, sending smiles at familiar faces until she finally spotted her classmates.

"Hello, Cassia" Festus was the first to greet her and she offered him a smile. He was nice, well, nice to her. He had kind of an annoying personality and a tendency to make everything seem like a competition, especially with Felix Ravinstill, the president's son. She greeted all of them and Cassia could see the moment Arachne's face went from a relaxed smirk to an unpleasant scowl once she noticed Cassia.

She felt a presence behind her and she quickly understood who it was when Arachne's irritating voice was heard.

"Look who it is, the star pupil"

The Xander girl stepped to the side and just like she imagined it was Coriolanus Snow. Even though they never spent much time one-on-one without it being loaded with awkward silence, Cassia had to admit he was a star student. Never late to anything, never had a mark below 95%, and always seemed to be one step ahead of her and everyone else which at times infuriated her. He was ambitious too, she heard him telling Festus and Clemensia how he planned to be President one day, which at the time sounded silly but the more she observed him the more that possibility seemed more plausible. 

"That's a snazzy shirt, what are those buttons? Tesserae?"

"Hm, that's why they remind me of the maid's bathroom" Snow remarked nonchalantly.

"Is it good?" Cassia pointed at the plate that Felix was so enthusiastically eating from.

"It's scandalous! You should try it" He said with a wide smile which made Cassia chuckle a bit at his excitement.

"Only the vulgar eat with their finger, Felix. Didn't Daddy teach you table manners?" Festus commented, a smirk creeping on his face at the opportunity to humiliate Felix.

"Maybe he would, if he wasn't so busy running the country" Felix quickly shut down his comment. Cassia hid her smile by going to the buffet and taking some of the lamb that Felix was munching on.

When she returned, two new faces were present in their little circle, Sejanus and Lysistrata. Cassia stood next to Lyssie and greeted them both with a wide smile, much more sincerely this time. Lysistrata was one of the people she would consider friends. Her sweet smile and comforting words always brought a smile to Cassia's face. On the other hand, she couldn't help but respect Sejanus' courage when it came to expressing his opinion, maybe because she hoped that she could be as fearless as he was in that matter.