twenty-seven. a letter from home

[ twenty-seven

[ twenty-seven. a letter from home ]

ON THE WAY back Hazel talked about many stuff. She talked about her school and her friends. She pointed at any important building as they passed.

The clinic was the closest to the market, a cabin way bigger than most with a sign decorated with a carefully carved cross. On the other side of the District was The Pith. Hazel explained it was where the cream of the crop lived, the richest of the district. When Casi pointed at the biggest and most well-kept building, somewhere in the middle of the District, Hazel paused. Cassia figured it was the Hall of Justice.

Then there were the forests or rather the forest that surrounded the District from all sides that looked like it had no end. However, Hazel said that there was a lake not too far away, but Casi already knew that.

When they arrived at the Evans residence, Cassia was glad to see Treech and Amber cook together. She was kind of nervous about them getting along but they seemed to be doing just fine.

"Whatcha cooking?" Hazel ran to the duo excitedly.

"Hello to you too, Hazel." Amber smiled. "Stew. Well, minus the beans, pepper, and the beef." The woman admitted.

"So just tomato soup." Cassia laughed

"We did switch the beef with some chicken." Treech defended and Amber nodded in approval.

"Yep. You're welcome, you brat." Amber joked and Casi raised her hands in defeat.

"Okay, okay. Good job, i guess." She said and went to the bathroom with Hazel to wash their hands.

She was met with her aunt's voice when she returned to the kitchen "I went to the post office today and your Dean sent you a letter."

Cassia stopped in her tracks, anxiety winning over her curiosity "Maybe we can...Um, open it after dinner" She mumbled but her aunt's deadpan expression made the girl roll her eyes and grab the envelope.

So what if he might send them to another District? Or throw them in jail for breaking the law? 'Everything is okay' she tried to convince herself.

Inside the envelope was a messily folded letter. Dean Highbottom for sure.

Cassia read the letter out loud to save time.

"Miss Xander,

I must say, I am not surprised. I should've seen this coming. Although you weren't particularly rebellious during your school years, the Hunger Games brought out a less irritating side of you" 

Cassia scoffed. "At least I'm not a washed-up, morphing-addicted asshole." She mumbled

"He sounds like a dream," Treech commented sarcastically.