twelve. the right side

[ twelve

[ twelve. the right side ] 

NOTHING HAPPENED FOR a while. A long while. 

Nothing much happened after the bloodbath. All the tributes scattered in the tunnels to calm themselves from the horror they'd been through. 

Everyone was practically falling asleep, even the mentors. Festus yawned so often, it was starting to get annoying. What was more annoying was Lucky's babbling about the weather, as if anyone cared right now. 

The host piped down when something other than broken static sounds came from the screen. It was Lamina. Pup seemed as surprised as Cassia because he slowly straightened his back as if it would scare her away if he moved any faster "Lamina—" He whispered, excitement piercing through him.

She stepped out of the rumble and slowly made her way to Marcus, cautiously looking around every now and then. Cassia smiled when she noticed the ax that Treech threw for her, safely tied around her waist. She climbed the structure with mastery that had Cassia wondering if she was as defenseless as she seemed. Strangely that thought put her at ease even though it shouldn't. She had every motivation to go after Treech, to hunt him down. But Cassia really doubted that and she found herself being fond of the red-headed girl.

Lamina quickly reached the top of the beam. She gently brushed her fingers through Marcus' short hair. Cassia imagined Marcus would've jerked if he had any more strength but instead he weakly tilted his head to look at her. They said something that the camera didn't catch, but their faces were enough to make Cassia's chest feel heavier.

Lamina slowly unbound the ax from her waist. Trembling hands clasped around the handle as she hesitantly raised her weapon. A moment passed and everyone held their breath. And then a horrible splashing sound echoed through the auditorium. 

Cassia turned her head. She couldn't look. The sound alone made her feel nauseous. But Pup had an entirely different reaction. He grunted an excited "Yes!" and Cassia would not be surprised if he jumped from his seat and did a little victory dance.

Cassia turned when Marcus' lifeless body fell on the ground. Lucky continued his forecast but Cassia couldn't listen, the image of Marcus still heavy in her mind.

The weatherman managed to capture her attention when he appeared next to Pup. 

"—the mentor can choose to send food or water using our newly developed drones from the war, reprogrammed with facial recognition. This ensures that your package goes directly to your tribute." Lucky informed, "Isn't that right Pup Harrington?"

Pup gave him an unenthusiastic 'Yeah' before Lucky continued unbothered 

"I've got a hunch Pup is going to seize the opportunity"

And that's what her classmate did. He found the water icon and clicked on it once. Indeed a drone flew into the arena, making Lamina's face lit up for a moment. She extended her hand but something was wrong.