twenty. trembling lips and barely touching fingers

[ twenty

[ twenty. trembling lips and barely touching fingers ]

MR. XANDER'S CONFUSED face was the first thing the Peacekeepers saw when he opened the door. They informed him about the plan but Cassia could sense that her father was not very pleased.

The girl was tenderly rubbing Treech's back, who seemed to have calmed a bit until her father called her inside. She glanced at Treech who smiled reassuringly, or at least something that resembled a smile.

He shut the door the moment she stepped inside and she was finally able to see her mother and aunt standing close by, confused expressions decorating their faces.

She didn't have time to worry about Amber. Thankfully someone from the academy escorted her home, probably Tigris.

"Casi, I understand that you care for this boy and I'm proud of you for saving him, but this is too far." Her father stated making Cassia let out an exasperated sigh.

"Dad, I am not going to let them take him to the zoo," Cassia argued.

She could see her mother getting rather anxious from the corner of her eye.

"And you didn't think to inform us about it? I had to hear the Peacekeepers' demands." Hector started to get angry.

"You think I had time?" Cassia fought back.

"Cassia he is dangerous!" He snapped but Cassia could see the regret the moment those words escaped his lips.

"What?" Amber's faint voice silenced both of them.

"Amber you know what I mean. You saw what he did." He defended himself which made his daughter stare at him wide-eyed.

How could her loving, thoughtful father𑁋who read her stories when she was younger, ran around with her sitting on his shoulders just to hear her laugh𑁋was talking about another child like this. The same person who helped Amber any time she needed and protected her against anyone who dared to speak ill about her...

"He didn't have a choice!" Cassia shouted

"There is always a choice! The other victor, the songbird, didn't kill anyone." He said.

Cassia wanted to laugh. To unfold Snow's lies but they formed a strange alliance and it would be a shame to break it.

"Hector, that is unfair and you know it. Let's both calm down and𑁋" Her mother tried

"They didn't have a choice and you know it!" It was Amber's turn to raise her voice.

Before the older man had the opportunity to speak the Peacekeepers' loud banging filled the room.

Her father quickly opened the door, a polite smile suddenly materializing on his face

After apologizing and speaking some more with the two Peacekeepers they finally entered the room. Treech remained behind them.