seventeen. an act of kindness

[ seventeen

[ seventeen. an act of kindness ]

Tears flowed down her face as Cassia stared at the screen. She was thankful that Lucky was too invested in the scene to notice her reaction. Knowing him, he would force her to heave an interview for everyone to mock.

Lamina's death was painful to watch. The girl tried so hard but she was clearly outnumbered and the outcome was obvious from the beginning of the fight. But it hurt all the same.

Treech's face—for the split second that the camera focused on him𑁋shattered the girl's heart. He looked at his District partner with so much regret and Cassia couldn't help the tears. Unconsciously she squeezed the blue scarf, safely tucked inside the pocket of her blazer.

But now something else bothered her. Coral. When she killed Tanner with no second thought Cassia felt shivers down her spine. If she would kill her supposed teammate for a bottle of water, how much time did Treech have?

But Lucy Gray's tactic was surprisingly genius. Cassia didn't know if she emptied the bottles because she knew it would lead to a fight or simply out of spite but it worked wonders for her.

Everything was quiet for a long moment until a little girl arose from the tunnels.

"Ah! it's ill Dill. Tuberculosis on legs" Lucky informed.

She stumbled out, stopping several times to catch her breath. It was painful to watch her struggle. 

She fell to her knees and picked up the bottle. Cassia felt a sensation of relief after seeing her drink it after being dehydrated for so long. 

But then something strange happened. The girl laid down and didn't move for a long while. She didn't move even when Reaper ran to her, calling her name.

The older boy sat next to her and the camera didn't catch what he said but he was distressed.

Cassia frowned her brows in thought 'Was she dead? Did she die because of her illness?'

This time Reaper's scream stunned them all. So painful and raw that it was impossible not to feel shaken up. 

Why did she die? Why now? If she had the strength to walk out of the tunnels, surely she wasn't in her dying moments.

If Cassia was in her final moments her last thought wouldn't be to stand up and walk somewhere full of cameras, just to drink some water. 

Her thought process was disrupted when Reaper picked up his deceased District partner and carried her through the arena. He gently placed next to Lamina and Marcus' bodies.

In an act of mourning, he took his hat off and gazed at his friend for a long moment, then he moved to the other tributes. He carefully turned them on their back and placed their hands on their stomachs. He carried every single fallen tribute to his make-shift funeral with a sense of tenderness that was truly moving. It was a beautiful act of kindness.