two. The reaping ceremony

[ two

[ two. The reaping ceremony ] 

DEAN HIGHBOTTOM QUICKLY sat on the floor right next to Arachne and Snow. In any other situation, Cassia would laugh at the bare image of  Arachne's irritation however, she was too busy fuming in her seat to even hear the first couple of tributes to be reaped. 

Her attention was caught when she heard Sejanus' name. He got a boy from his own district...what a pitiful situation to be in. She wanted to comfort him in some way but she couldn't think of anything that would be discreet.

"Three, girl. Urban Canville"

She stared at the screen. A girl, a little younger than her, with curly black hair. Just like her aunt. Her aunt, Amber was adopted by her paternal grandfather on one of his trips to the districts when she was only a child, before the "dark days" and before people were so afraid. The Capitol citizens say "bought" Although they never mean to, "it just slips out" they defend themselves. Even if her aunt lived years and years in the Capitol she never fit, neither did she fit in District 3 and she will never truly fit in. Cassia cannot help but feel a strange sensation of guilt whenever she walks into the Academia, greeting happily the same people who exclude her. Sometimes she is afraid she is those people.

"Four, girl. Festus Creed" Highbottom said and everyone turned to Festus to witness his reaction but he simply raised his eyebrows indifferently. She seemed feisty and Cassia didn't know how Festus would feel about his tribute flipping him off every time he spoke but the visual image made Cassia feel a little bad for both of them. And a little amused.

After a couple of minutes filled with anxiety, the brunette finally heard her name leave Highbottom's mouth. 

"Seven, boy. Cassia Xander."

Her eyes quickly moved to the screen. There was a boy with a brown hat and clothes that seemed to be dirty yet comfortable with a scarf wrapped loosely around his neck. But what caught her attention the most was his face. His face was quite attractive, that would definitely help with the Capitol, she thought. However, any thought of the Capitol disappeared when she noticed his reddening nose, glossy eyes, and very faint tear stains on his rosy cheeks. How he pursed his lips, probably not to cry again made her heart ache. She was afraid she would never be able to forget his face...the pure fear and misery overshadowing his handsome features made the girl feel a sense of... shame and burden that she hadn't realized before.

She doesn't know how long she was staring at the screen but by the time she focused again they were all gasping and laughing at the screens. She saw a girl, Lucy Gray Baird written on the screen and she was singing. Her voice was really pleasant but she didn't hear much of it because she suddenly screamed