fourteen. humanity undressed

[ fourteen

[ fourteen. humanity undressed ]

THE TUNNELS WERE as cold and dark as Treech remembered it. He didn't expect that it would be so hard to let go of her hand. He doesn't even notice when he went from tolerating to needing her.

'Be nice' Said Lamina 'Her classmate just died' She nagged Treech that night in the zoo. The boy tried to protest but she wouldn't let him 'She seems to actually care and I really like her sandwiches, so please don't push her too much.' He gave in, saying that it would be only for today, for Lamina and her stupid sandwiches.

But everything changed, she suddenly felt real, like a real person. Before that night, she was just another Capitol snob, bribing him with food and meaningless smiles so he would play her stupid game but she wasn't like that. She didn't have to come to him so late at night, she didn't have to bring him food and 'pretend' to care about him and his family. She wasn't like the other mentors who only came once a day—some didn't even come at all—

She certainly didn't have to save him in the arena. She could've run, but she didn't. Treech doubts he will ever forget her tearful eyes begging him to run away. He wanted to but he couldn't. Treech didn't want to think about the reason too much. 

He swore he could still feel her tender fingers grazing his rough hands but once his eyes fell on his palm his breath quickened. Blood was still covering them. No matter how hard he rubbed them the sickening red liquid wouldn't leave. It felt like it would never wash off, forever imprinted on his hands.

Did she notice? She probably did. 

"Are you okay?" Treech was taken aback by the sudden voice. It was Mizzen.

"Yeah, I'm good" He lied quite unconvincingly but Mizzen didn't seem to notice.

"My sister says that when you're scared, you should do some weird breathing techniques," He said while he played with the knots of his net.

"I'm not scared." Treech protested "What techniques?" He asked, the boy's childish rambling somehow eased his nerves.

"Dunno, she said she learned it while diving." He shrugged his shoulders and Treech threw his head back with a chuckle.

"I have a sister too. Two sisters, actually."

"I have three sisters and two brothers" The boy smiled triumphantly as if this was a competition he just won.

"What about boss, over there?" Treech joked with a nod to Coral.

"She doesn't have any siblings. My siblings love her,  all the kids in Four love her. She's really cool!" By the way the younger boy spoke, someone would imagine a sweet girl with a wide warm smile, or really anyone but Coral. But maybe she was like that in Four, he was different back in Seven too..."She works with my pa."