eight. unexpected setbacks

[eight

[eight. unexpected setbacks]

CONTINUING THE CLASSES was hard. All her thoughts were led back to Treech and her classmates didn't make it any easier. All they talked about was the arena and their tributes and how miserable they were with being mentors. So here she was sitting outside the academy, surrounded by her bickering classmates.

"I just think it's unfair. Why should I get 'ill-Dill'?" Felix complained and let out a rather dramatic sigh.

"Looks like daddy can't buy you everything, Ravinstill" Festus snickered. The only answer Felix gave him was his middle finger.

"Stop being cocky, Festus. Just because your tribute looks like a savage doesn't mean she's going to win." Livia spoke, her proud smile reminding everyone that she got the male tribute from District One.

"Seriously, stop with the bragging. It's getting really annoying" Hilarius grossed his legs with an aggravated huff, making some of the students laugh.

"What about your tribute, Xander?" Cassia didn't expect Felix to turn to her, and everyone else for that matter. Truthfully, she didn't share anything about Treech with the others since the reaping. That must've made everyone suspicious.

"He is okay." She answered quietly. As much as she wanted to brag, that wouldn't be smart. Trying to prove to everyone that he can win felt like putting a huge mark on his back. It was better for them to think he was not a threat than to make him a target.

"Come on! You really won't tell us anything about him?" Persephone complained and Livia nodded.

"It's really unfair, Xander. You know everything about our tributes and we know nothing about yours." She whined. Cassia couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"Maybe you shouldn't run your mouth then, Cardew. Besides, there isn't much to say." She insisted.

"He's good with an ax" Festus added, accusatory tone behind his words.

Cassia stared at him with a look that screamed 'really?' "Good job, Festus. Figuring that all by yourself must've been challenging." Cassia mocked making some of her classmates chuckle.

"Okay, no need to bite my head off!" Festus exclaimed in defeat and turned to Lysistrata "What about your tribute Lyssie?"

"Something is wrong with him..." Lysistarta's eyes were clouded with worry as she spoke about Jessup. She was the only person who seemed to truly care about their tribute in a way that Cassia could relate to, at least the only one she noticed. "He was bitten by a bat on the train...I think it's getting infected..." The softness of her tone felt refreshing from the obnoxious way everyone was talking about their tributes and some of her classmates even lowered their heads, embarrassed by their earlier words.