nine. the night before

[ nine

[ nine. the night before ]

BLINKING AWAY HER SLUMBER, Cassia sat up on the hospital bed. She didn't know what was happening nor how she ended up there. All she could feel was the numbness in her limbs. In the distance, the TV was playing something that she couldn't make up. 

"Are you all right?" She heard a gentle voice from across the room. It was a beautiful woman in a fuchsia dress with carefully styled blonde hair. Cassia remembered seeing her with Coriolanus, his sister perhaps? Cassia nodded. "You are Coryo's classmate, right?" The woman asked and Cassia nodded once again. She felt her throat too sore to speak. "I'm Tigris, Coryo's cousin." She smiled sweetly. Cassia couldn't help but be surprised at how comforting her presence was compared to Snow.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Cassia Xander. Is Coriolanus okay?" Said Cassia in a quiet, hoarse voice. Tigris nodded yet her expression remained worried.

Suddenly another figure appeared behind Tigris, wearing the same red uniform Cassia was so used to.

"You are awake!" Sejanus took a seat next to her and grabbed her hand. "How are you feeling? Are you all right?" 

"Yeah, think so" The girl answered and rubbed her chin only to feel a set of stitches. She probably hurt herself when she fell to the ground with Treech. Treech. Suddenly panic spread through her like fire. "Where is Treech? Is he hurt? Is he in the hospital?" Cassia rambled while attempting to stand up but Sejanus gently pushed her back to the bed.

"He's okay, they wouldn't let him get to the hospital but he didn't seem to be hurt. I'm pretty sure he is with Lucky right now." Answered Sejanus with a comforting smile but his words made Cassia jolt up.

"With Lucky? Why?"

"The presentation about the tributes, Casi." Sejanus looked at her concerned. He probably thought she was suffering from some sort of memory loss by how disoriented she was.

"They can't be continuing the games..." Cassia whispered in shock. Sejanus rubbed her back sympathetically. "What about Marcus?"

The boy's face darkened at that. His soft features were now coated in sorrow "He is the only one who got out. They are hunting him down." The words came out with a struggle.

"I'm sorry..." Cassia rubbed his hand affectionately but Sejanus offered her a tight-lipped smile. 

"It's better like this. He has more chances out there..."

That's when Cassia finally noticed the program on the television. The annoying babbling was coming from the famous weatherman. Cassia quickly stood up and increased the volume. The pain in her knees was hard to ignore but she stood near the TV anyways.