seven. strategy

[seven

[seven. strategy]

NO MATTER HOW much Cassia tried to focus on her classes she couldn't shake away the drowsiness and the memories about last night, after their conversation Cassia was even more determined to get him out of there alive, no matter what.

When it was finally time for them to meet their tributes everyone seemed as anxious as her in the car. Next to her was Sejanus and Festus and across were sitting Hilarius and Pup. They kept complaining about their tributes, especially Hilarius, saying how his tribute wouldn't last a second in that arena. Cassia didn't speak until Sejanus turned to her.

"Marcus won't talk to me." He confessed, his features grim.

"I'm sure he will... You just have to prove to him you are on his side." She reassured but Sejanus shook his head, she felt a gloom overcoming her when she noticed his glossy eyes.

"I'm not... I did this to him" He whispered so the others wouldn't hear him, not that they would, they were too immersed in their own conversation. It felt like he didn't even want Cassia to hear him.

She didn't speak. She furrowed her eyebrows confused by his words. Perhaps he just needed someone to comfort him or maybe he just wanted to let it all out.

They finally arrived and Cassia was the first to hop out of the car. When they entered the room she noticed the tributes in shackles and as she was escorted to Treech, an uncomfortable feeling washed over her when she passed the empty table next to Tanner and Domitia. She finally sat across from Treech and he wore the same deadpan expression, only this time he bothered to meet her gaze.

"Hey" She whispered with a smile and he nodded.

"In spite of yesterday's tragic events, our president has decided that the games must go on to show that the Capitol is unafraid of such acts of terror." Highbottom's voice echoed through the room. To which end, Dr. Gaul wished you to preview the arena this afternoon with your tributes. Later this evening, there will be a special televised presentation of each tribute to our audience to get to know them" Treech and Cassia's eyes met at that, silently sharing their confusion. "You have an hour to discuss strategy"

"I spend some time thinking about what you should do and I think you should lay low. Just stay out of trouble as much as possible to save energy, you know?" Cassia explained and Treech shook his head

"I've seen your arena, there's nowhere to hide. I will have to climb and I doubt I'll have much time for that." He argued.

"Everyone will be too busy going for the weapons, if you're fast you can climb high enough." She said.

"Nah, I don't wanna risk getting stabbed in the back by someone. Besides, have you seen the dude from eleven? I'm sure he'll drag me down, no matter how fast I am." He said and Cassia had to agree. Reaper was bigger and stronger than any other tribute. Clemensia was boasting about how lucky she was to get him and Cassia can see why.

"Then what do you think?" Cassia ended up asking.

"Just fight like everyone else and when I find the chance I'll climb and hide." He shrugged and moved a little closer to Cassia. "Also, Coral kept going around the zoo talking to some of the tributes, trying to recruit them in her little pack"

"Really with Coral?" The girl asked and raised her eyebrow. She seemed really determined to win the games. Besides, Cassia doubted she would be an easy person to work with.

"You have anything better?" Treech shot back and the girl sighed.

"About the presentation, make sure to smile," Cassia changed the subject and a smile tugged at her lips when she noticed him grimace "Capitol loves loud, fun people. Charm them that's the only way to get you sponsors" Although he didn't speak with Lucky, Cassia once saw him on the TV talking with the kids of the Capitol, even juggling for some food and water.

He smirked at that, laying back in his chair a little "I can do that" 

Cassia cleared her throat and looked through the papers, hoping that would distract her from her sudden blush. It seemed to have all the essential stuff like 'name and weapon of choice'. She quickly wrote the ones she was familiar with before finally turning to Treech who was studying her carefully "Okay. 'Weapon of choice' I'm assuming an ax?" She asked and he sneered.

"No a trident would be better" He joked and the girl rolled her eyes playfully.

"Just wanted to make sure, no need to be an ass. For how long have you been working as a lumberjack?" She continued

"Is that on the papers?" He teased 

"Nope, just wanna know how good you are at it. Why you thought I care?" She teased back and he chuckled.

 "Honestly I can't remember a time I wasn't working. My father took me and my older sister to work since we were young, he taught me everything" There was a certain bittersweet feeling that filled the air.

"What about your mother?" She instantly regretted her question when his smile slowly disappeared.

"My mother died not too long ago." He said with a sigh. "My older sister had to take care of my baby sister Hazel, so I had to work extra hard. She has been sick for a while now" His gaze was glued to the floor by the time he finished.

The girl smiled sympathetically. She could already feel her throat close up by the way his tone changed when he talked about his family, so full of love and gentleness like nothing else mattered in the world. "Thank you for talking to me about them." Those were the only words she managed to find. Treech didn't look up, the memories of his family carrying a possibility that neither of them wanted to consider.

Cassia quickly placed her hand over his own, squeezing it softly "I'm going to get you out of there, Treech" And for once she was confident. She was sure she was going to get him out of that arena alive, no matter what. Her tone seemed to affect him the same, as he lifted his eyes to meet hers, she saw a glimpse of hope and she wasn't going to let it disappear "I promise."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

A little more info about Treech's life before the reaping!! They are slowly trusting each other more and more. I can't wait to write parts 2 and 3 ngl. Sorry if i made any mistakes
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE WHO CELEBRATES!!!!!

Don't forget to vote! Can't wait to read your thoughts on this chapter <333