twenty-three. new beginnings

Please don't be a silent reader! It's so fun reading all your comments

[ twenty- three. new beginnings ]

THE WARM BREEZE that met the girl's face did nothing to soothe her. All it did was remind her where they were. On a bench, in the train station, anxiously waiting for their train.

She hadn't come here since she accompanied Treech. When she first arrived, the memories came right back. His loving words, delicate touches, and his gentle lips moving against hers. It all brought feelings she tried to push back since they parted ways. If her aunt noticed the heavy breath she took when she stepped inside the station, she didn't say anything.

What if they jump on the next train? Then what? What happens when the conductor asks us for our tickets? They could hide but where and for how long? 

What if they try to bribe the Peacekeepers to buy us different tickets? But they wouldn't help us. Knowing the Capitol they would probably give them even more if they gave them in. 

They could go back to the lady and try giving her all their money but then they would be together but in a completely unknown place with no money and no place to stay.

Cassia looked up to stop the tears. It felt like everything was against them. Well, It was...

Every solution she tried to think of got her nowhere.

Amber proposed digging in trashcans to find any tickets. But finding two tickets to the same district and not looking too suspicious to get the Peacekeepers' attention was impossible.

They even considered stealing but they immediately rejected it. They would get their tickets but to the Capitol prison instead. Cassia didn't even want to think about what they did to the prisoners. Images from Gaul's lab popped into her head as if she wasn't already freaking out. 

A jab to her arm snapped her back to the present. She turned to Amber whose stare was locked elsewhere. Her eyes ended up on a bunch of Peacekeepers, not even three years older than her, boasting and laughing.

Before, she drowned away the noise but now she tried really hard to make sense of what they said between their laughs.

"Seriously, I can't go there!" A Peacekeeper complained making his peers chuckle. They reminded Cassia of her classmates, her former classmates.

"Bugs everywhere! Pollen everywhere! You know how I get with my allergies!" More laughs "And don't get me started on the damn forests! Anywhere you look trees!"

Cassia and Amber shared a look of sudden hope.

"Man, I don't know why they keep sending me to that shit-hole, I send them so many letters begging them to send me anywhere else."