nineteen. bittersweet victory

[ nineteen

[ nineteen. bittersweet victory ]

THE LOUD CHEERING of her classmates is still buzzing in her ear when she enters the large room.

It was over. It was finally over.

 Her heart was pounding with anticipation. Snow couldn't contain his smile either. He was all giddy and even spoke about Lucy Gray a bit. How he can't wait to see her again and all that lovey stuff. 

But Cassia agreed. She missed Treech, his eyes his smile, his snarky remarks but most of all she missed the warmth she felt when her hand was safely tucked in his.

Their steps echoed throughout the space and instead of their tributes, they were met with an empty chamber. 

Coriolanus shouted Lucy Gray's name and before Cassia could do the same, her breath got caught in her throat. Her eyes fell on the small table in the middle of the room which gave away a sinister sensation.

A white handkerchief and a little compact were neatly laid on the table.

"I warned you, Mr. Snow. Cheating will be punished." A scowling Dean Highbottom appeared from the shadows and slowly approached the table "More poetically than even I could've hoped."

"Lucy Gray, where is she?" Snow spoke, trying to dismiss the objects.

"I would be more concerned with your own survival if I were you" 

"Are they okay?" The girl asked.

"Do not fret Mrs. Xander. Your tribute is fine, just a bit startled." Dead answered with a bored smile before his attention was back on Coriolanus.

"It's fitting that both your parents could be here for your big moment. That compact. How many times did I see your mother use it? I wonder... To powder her beautiful face?" Said Highbottom. He always had a way to hide insults in compliments.

Cassia took a step back. This conversation felt awfully personal and right now the last thing she cared about was Snow and Dean's dispute.

"Come now, we both know that child from Eleven didn't die of disease. Or that boy from Four. And that old handkerchief we found it at the snake tank, appropriately." He chuckled "Condemning you with your father's own initials"

"Why am I even here?" Cassia asked with an impatient huff.

"I am very glad you asked, Mrs. Xander" Dean Highbottom smiled knowingly and she bit the inside of her cheek in unease. "Oddly, we found a dirty scarf in the tank. One that is very similar to your tribute" He shuffled through his pocket until he finally took out Treech's blue scarf. 

She tried to seem calm and clueless but her quiet voice didn't sound believable at all "So?" 

The man let out an amused laugh "I don't think Mr. Snow, is very keen on sharing the spotlight unless he really, really has to." He explained, raising an accusatory brow.