twenty-two. a surprising turn of events

[ twenty-two

[ twenty-two. a surprising turn of events ]

THE NEXT TWO days passed faster than Cassia wanted. The Xanders spend their last days together. Either watching movies, having fancy dinners, and such. The day after Treech left she received a bouquet of violets. It was from the class.

"We will all miss you a lot. Make sure to come back quickly so you don't miss out too much!

Ps. Please come back quick Lyssie won't stop crying."

That last part Cassia recognized to be Festus' handwriting. She smiled. She didn't know anyone so liked her but Sejanus and Lysistrata.

That same evening she made sure to visit the Vicker's apartment. They talked and laughed but mostly they cried. Next was Festus' apartment. After all, he was one of the few who helped her forget about the games, even by just cracking jokes every now and then.

Thankfully, she found Persephone there as well𑁋she tried to act surprised but at this point, everyone knew how much they liked each other. Cassia wished she had more time, so she could tease them 𑁋 and surprisingly they were way more distraught than she expected. They hugged and he assured her that he would make fun of Highbottom twice as hard to make up for her absence. 

Next, she went to the Plinth residence but an Avox opened the door and said that the Plinths don't wish to see any visitors right now. Even after she said that she is a friend of Sejanus the answer was still the same.

She wished she had more time to visit Pup, they weren't friends per say but the games did bring them closer and she made sure to send him a basket full of goods. Ironically the games brought her closer to many classmates.

The third day was the hardest. Her mother, Cassia, and Amber cried a lot. Her aunt rarely cried, the dark days hardened her shell way more than they should but the day was painful for everyone. Hell, even her father cried and Cassia never saw him cry other than at Grandma's funeral.

But that was all in the past now as they sat on the back of the Peacekeeper's cold van. Cassia didn't know why they kept moving them in those trucks but she supposed it was because they were technically criminals.

They didn't speak during the ride. Cassia didn't even feel like crying. She felt like she had no tears left from the past three days.

The only thing giving her comfort was Amber's shoulder which she leaned her head on and the soft fabric of Treech's scarf wrapped carefully around her wrist.

Treech... He was probably back with his family, maybe even working. She just hoped he didn't push himself too hard. 

Unceremoniously, the Peacekeepers pushed them out of the truck right in front of the Center. The place was bustling with people when they entered.