fifteen. the art of escaping

[ fifteen

[ fifteen. the art of escaping ]

"THANK YOU," Cassia told her aunt as they walked to the academy.

"Don't thank me, I wouldn't leave you after what happened last night," Amber reassured.

Cassia didn't dare to tell her parents about last night, but she had to tell someone. Her aunt was understandably pissed off but she didn't expect to find her all dressed up and ready to go when she woke up this morning.

"It means a lot, you know? I know how much you hate the games." The girl said.

Amber didn't say anything. Cassia felt guilt pile up in her stomach the closer they got to the academy. Amber hated this. Not only the games but the Capitol itself. Even though everyone seemed to slowly forget that she was District━or at least to pretend, she still couldn't forget their hateful stares.

They finally arrived at the gate of the academy. Many students entered as they stood in front of the entrance.

"You still have time to leave." Cassia half━joked.

"Shut up" Amber rolled her eyes with a playful smile and dragged her niece inside the room. Cassia was glad because she knew she would've taken much more time to take the first step inside the auditorium.

They shared one last heartfelt hug and Amber sat on the stands. Cassia noticed the blond girl from the hospital, Tigris sitting a little further from Amber. She offered Cassia a comforting smile that made the girl feel a little bad for how she was treating her cousin.

At the thought of Snow, she remembered last night and felt nauseous all over again. She tried to ignore Lucky's loud speech about Bobbin. He described the killer as a "beast" and the word made the girl's skin prickle. Would he still use those words if he knew?

"They aren't showing us what happened to that little boy." She heard Lysistrata say when Cassia walked to her seat. A whole new wave of guilt passed through her when she saw the sorrow in her eyes. "He clearly was killed right there. There's cameras everywhere. It doesn't make sense."

"They were old cameras Lyssie. Probably just another one of Coral's" Festus reassured her but was rushed to his seat by Lucky.

'Another one of Coral's' She tensed when she heard that.

The screens showed that everything was calm. Nothing occurred as Jessup and Lucy Gray hid in the tunnels. Jessup appeared to be struggling for a while but thankfully none of the other tributes caught up to them. Yet he was more twitchy than before and the moment Lucy Gray's softly touched his forehead, he instantly pulled away.