twenty-one. the only thing left of him

[ twenty-one

[ twenty-one. the only thing left of him ]

THE TEENS WERE entangled in each other's arms when the sound of the Peacekeepers banged on the door loudly.

Cassia swore under her breath and opened the door. They were rather annoyed when they realized Cassia would join them at the train station. There was no way she would just let him leave without seeing him one last time.

Her father was also surprised to see her rush out the door with the Peacekeepers but before he could say something that would set Cassia even more on edge, her mother stopped him.

"One last time, let them have it." She heard her say.

So there they were, sitting next to each other on a bench, watching the trains pass by. No one knew what to say but their fingers found each other, just letting the moment pass with comfortable silence

"I'm going to miss you" He whispered.

It was so quiet Cassia thought she imagined it. His misty eyes said otherwise.

"I'm gonna miss you too." She said turning to face him with a smile. "Those two weeks I spent with you... Felt more meaningful than the eighteen years I lived. I only know you for so little, but it's so hard to imagine life without you." She admitted and he gave her a sad smile.

"I will never forget you. I promise. How can I? In the monkey house, while the Capitol kids asking me for tricks and the tributes' kept bickering, the image of you running to see me was the only thing keeping me together." He admitted, holding her hand close to his chest.

"it's here" They heard a Peacekeeper shout in the distance and the Peacekeeper beside them grabbed the boy by the arm. He shoved him towards the Peacekeeper who shouted. She saw Lucy Gray's rainbow dress and Snow's blonde hair in the distance.

"Seriously, you need to stop doing this" Cassia muttered but the Peacekeeper ignored the complaint.

She earned some scoffs when they stopped to say goodbye to each other.

She sent them a glare and by the time she turned her face to Treech, his arms were already wrapped around her shoulders, holding her tightly like he was keeping her from turning into dust and disappearing in the wind.

She heard his heartbeat as she hugged him back, beating just as fast as hers.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips as tears pooled in her eyes. He was leaving.

Forever.

"Don't cry, please." He said when they pulled away, but Cassia could see the tears in his eyes, threatening to spill. He gently cupped her cheeks and reassured "We can always travel to see each other."