Chapter 3. Lycans

VIGGO

"Umph!" I grunt as my ribs sting from the punishing blow my warrior lands just before my own fist connects with his massive lycan jaw. His teeth snap shut, his eyes roll in his head and he crumbles in a heap of fur and muscle at my feet.

"Next!" I growl as two other warriors drag their fallen comrade from the dust, glancing at me wearily.

"I think that's enough for the morning Alpha, I'd like some guards left for patrol tonight." My gamma Costas says drily as he saunters across the training ground to the relief of the remaining warriors who drag their various states of wounded selves back to the Castra.

"I wasn't done," I growl at Costas who stands in front of me with arms on his hips, his bare ebony skin glistening in the morning light.

"You weren't, they were. I've told you before, don't take your pissy moods out on my wolves." He glances at me sideways before adding drily, "With respect, Alpha."

I snarl at Costas as we walk up the knoll to stand under the shade of an old red oak. We look down on the now-empty dirt field below.

"If they can't handle me and my pissy moods then how the fuck are they going to handle Tariq."

"You're the Alpha King. Tariq is just a wolf. Our Zeta's are the best we've ever had, don't doubt them. They take your shit daily and you know there are very few that could and still live to talk about it."

I nod grudgingly, knowing Costas is right. Glancing up at the morning sky I take a deep breath of resignation. It's the same damn sky I see every day, with the same emptiness gaping inside of me.

Not even the pain of having a dozen lycans railing against me compares to what consumes me eternally.

Costas's sympathetic sigh only irritates me more. No words are needed between us, Costas understands me more than any other wolf alive.

He looks like he's about to say something I'm going to hate when his eyes glaze over into mind link.

"What is it?" I ask as he slips back, his brows furrowing and he reaches into his back pocket bringing out his phone and frowning at the screen.

"That was Sofia. Alpha Sebastian called your office because you've blocked his link. They've picked up a lead and sent it though."

Costas does not need to speak his disapproval of the block I've placed between me and my missing mate's parents. I know how he feels, but it's been a necessity of self-preservation.

Despite my efforts, Kyros surges inside me with familiar excitement surging in my blood. I temper him down, gritting my teeth until my jaw aches.

Shaking my head I walk away from Costas leaving the training grounds for the Castra.

"We've been here a thousand times before, Costas. Quilla is dead. Sebastian and Neo need to accept that. I have."

"Alpha. Stop. Look at this." Costas's firm hand on my shoulder tugs me back and he thrusts his phone in my face.

I push it away.

"Enough Costas. I told you. I'm done. It's been sixteen years, I'm not going on another wild goose chase. I've got too many problems to fix here now."

"For fucks sake Viggo, will you please look at the fucking video."

I halt at the angry plea in Costas's voice, his uncharacteristic use of my first name getting him the attention he wants. Turning back to face him he stands with his arm outstretched his phone in his palm.

"Please."

It fucking kills me. I know the hope Costas and the pack hold for Quilla's return. We've been without a Luna for too long. Tariq is not the only threat to our pack. The bigger one is my mateless condition.