Chapter 13. Bonds

QUILLA

"It's not true," Udry says dragging a chair to sit opposite the end of my bed where I sit.

The pain in his voice breaks through the anger in my heart.

Leaning forward with his elbows on his thighs his eyes plead with mine.

"You were never a replacement for Winona. No one could ever replace her or her mother. What you were when I found you was a miracle. I didn't save you that day, you saved me."

The rage that had been storming inside me since Udyr left me in the woods with Neo and Sebastian begins to wane as I watch my father crumble in a way I have never seen him do before.

"But it is true though that I knew wolves were looking for a missing pup. One they were calling the Luna Queen." He sighs and looks out the window, a dark scowl crossing his face.

"I'll never forget how I found you, Kyra. The storm. The cave. That lycan dragging you through my den unconscious with almost every bone in your tiny body broken. Never."

I wrap my arms around myself to steel myself from the memories I will never forget as well.

Or speak about.

I resist putting my hands over my ears. It's been sixteen years and we have never spoken about that day. I would be happy to it leave unspoken for the rest of my life.

Udyr raises his head to face me. His familiar features, so rugged and handsome, are etched in age and pain.

"There was no way I could have given you back to them. From the moment I found you, you were my cub."

I sniffle as my emotions get the better of me, wiping my nose angrily.

"But you walked away, you did leave me!"

"I had no choice, Kyra, neither do you! Viggo is your mate. He has claimed you with his mark and I cannot interfere with a wolf mate bond."

He straightens in his chair looking down at me firmly.

"Bears are not like wolves Kyra. We don't have soul mates in the way you do. We find and choose ours during our mate hunt. What you have is something I cannot even begin to advise you on. Borra is right. I am being selfish to keep you from finding out."

He scans my face before continuing with a firmness back in his voice.

"I know your wolf has been wanting to leave for a while now. I know she's been taking you further out of our territory. She's been trying to tell us both what she wants. To be with her kind."

I don't know why I'm surprised. Udyr controls his territory with an iron fist. I should have known he knew I was exploring beyond the borders.

He reaches forward to cup my chin and lift it.

"Your parents want to know you Kyra, and I know deep down you want to know them. Right now your mate is irrelevant."

He bows his head and when he looks up it is with firm resolve.

"You should go with Neo and Sebastian, and get to know them. I will always be here for you, this will always be your home."

I swipe away the rushing tears streaming down my face with the back of my hand.

Udyr knows me so well.

Rising off the bed I crawl into his lap the way I used to when I was a little girl. His large arms wrap around my knees as I curl into his chest and he gives me a warm rocking hug.

His heavy bear scent has always been my home and I snuggle deep.

"I love you Udyr," I whisper into his flannel shirt, already soaked with my tears.