Chapter 26. Safety

VIGGO

Ice freezes over in my veins as I reach across and grab Quilla’s wrist, staring at the photo frame on the table with my heart thundering.

“Where did you get that?”

Quilla tries to twist out of my grip fruitlessly, anger flashing in her vivid eyes. If I wasn’t battling Kyros at that very moment I would have relished the undertones of jealousy I also caught in her scent.

“Like I said, in your room. It was on the bedside table. As if you didn’t know.” she snaps.

In a heartbeat, Kyros surges in an unstoppable full shift shredding my suit to pieces. The room erupts as he drags Quilla out of her chair and it crashes to the floor.

Quilla’s shout of indignation is lost as Kyros lifts her off the floor, curls her into a ball, and cradles her tight like a babe to the center of his heaving chest.

Sebastian and Neo’s confused, shouted protests fall unheard as Kyros storms towards the door. They stupidly attempt to block his exit and meet the solid wall of his shoulders which sends them flying across the room.

“Viggo, what the fuck!” Quilla’s cursing is muffled by Kyros’s thick fur where he has her head and face firmly covered by a massive clawed hand and protectively shoved into his shoulder.

There is nothing I can do about Kyros, and from my place I link Costas who is already pressing on my link.

Costas. Shut the Castra down immediately, no one leaves or enters. Someone has been in the Alpha suite. I want answers.

I’m on it. Where are you going? He links back.

The safe room. I reply and then shut my link down knowing Costas will deal with Sebastian and Neo.

As soon as he sees the photo left behind on the dining table Costas will understand, just as I did the second I saw it.

I cannot fucking believe what is happening.

In my Lycan form, it takes us only a few minutes to cover the distance through the Castra to the safe room on this floor.

Quilla attempts to buck and flail uselessly. Kyros’s hold on her is iron-clad. I feel her frustration, her mounting anger, and fear as she finds herself face-to-face with his iron will.

She manages to reach up and dig her claws into my forearms tugging down hard and doing nothing but slicing through my fur.

I hiss but don’t release my grip or falter in my steps despite the pain. Blood drips down the fur on my arms to the floor leaving a crimson trail behind us. Quilla looks up at me with an enraged scowl.

“Let me go, Viggo.”

As we approach the dead end of a narrow corridor Kyros releases me. Fur shifts to skin in a single breath and I swipe a small nondescript painting off the wall to reveal a high-tech scanner. I place my palm on the scanner which follows with a sharp click and the opening of a faux brick wall covering six inches of steel door beneath.

“You’ll have to bleed me dry mate before I ever do that,” I growl as I carry her into the safe room, acutely aware of every screaming inch of my naked skin that burns on contact with hers.

Only when I hear the door behind us click in place do I release Quilla gently onto the sofa.

Bad fucking move.

She springs up like a fucking jack-in-the box.

“Shit!” I jump back as her foot kicks out missing my junk by mere inches.