Chapter 18. Cursed

QUILLA

The Brichwood pack house is small, so its only one flight of stairs down for me to get to the main foyer.

I’m about to kick my way out of the front door when a beautiful, long legged blonde in a floating white cotton dress steps in front of me with a warm welcoming smile. Her demure doe eyes widen and she bows gracefully.

“Luna Queen Quilla, it is a pleasure and honor to meet you. I am Luna Clare, Alpha Bryce’s mate. I must apologize for not meeting you and Alpha King Viggo on arrival, I was feeding my pup. His name is Benjamin, he’s six months old, honestly he’s such a hungry demanding pup, but forgive me, I chatter too much. Did you need something Luna? I’m happy to show you around. I was heading to the kitchen to check on dinner, would you like to join me?”

Luna Clare stares at me with wide earnest eyes and the warmest, welcoming smile I’ve ever seen.

I’d rather escape into the woods for a run over the hills and as faraway as possible but the eagerness in her eyes makes me feel like if I turned her down it would be like kicking a puppy.

“Er, thank you Luna Clare, you can call me Quilla.” I reply instead.

“I couldn’t possibly, my Queen,” She shakes her head but smiles as she leads me through the house.

Queen. No matter how many times I hear the word it sits uncomfortably. It’s more than ridiculous how I’m expected to just accept this role within days of knowing about it. Everyone around me seems to have no problem with the idea at all though.

In my head I’m just a nineteen year old who got marked and shoved into this like I’ve been hit by a tidal wave. I’m no Queen and don’t know the first thing about being one.

“I hope you find your rooms adequate, I’m sorry if they are not what you are used to.” Clare says with a hint of nervousness under her smile and I hold back a groan forcing a smile.

“The room is lovely,” I reply, Viggo and my mother’s words ring in my head and I add, “I’m sure you’ve heard by now, I grew up in a small bear town. I really do like your pack house. To be honest, it feels like home.”

I clearly said the right thing, Clare’s face practically beams sunshine and pride.

“Well please do make yourself at home then, if you need anything just ask.”

As we walk down the hall a number of wolves stop in their tracks to bow and stare in unabashed curiosity.

Clare knows each one by name and greets them kindly, introducing me as we go along. I forget every name by the time we turn the corner feeling a little bit overwhelmed.

I marvel at the respect and love evident in her pack wolves demeanor when she speaks, even from some much older wolves.

“How old are you?” I blurt suddenly as we approach a set of doors. She stops and looks at me with surprise.

“I’m nineteen.”

“Cool,” I smile weakly almost slapping myself at my un-queen-like response.

How the heck is she the same age as me but she walks, talks, and acts like someone twice her age, and she’s a mom?

“Did you always want to be a Luna and be mated so young?” I seem to catch the young Luna off guard, but her poise never falters. She pauses and answers thoughtfully.

“My father is Beta of my home pack, I was raised knowing my future mate would be ranked quite high.” She blushes a little but continues.

“I met Caden at last year’s mating festival after I turned eighteen and became of age to run my first sunset,” glancing sideways, she leans in to whisper conspiratorially, “I’m surprised you’ve been able to restrain yourself with the Alpha King especially after having been marked first. I was melted butter the second Caden touched me. Couldn’t walk for the whole festival weekend.”