Chapter 44. Asking

QUILLA

I think I’ve let the madness of Crystal Moon get to me.

Two days midst my beautiful and powerful she wolf relatives and I’ve caught something.

That can only explain the boldness of me saying what has just spilled from my lips.

The confidence my Aunts and cousins have over their mate bonds is astounding. The stories I have heard today, some so tragic I ended up crying in a bowl of punch, put the power of a mate bond under a new light.

Aunt Eva’s and Uncle Dante’s toxic level love, made we want to go find him and yank a few fistfuls of his bright red hair off his handsome head. But then seeing how her smile shines brightest when she talks about him, set me thinking about exactly how powerful the bond can be.

Aunt Freya’s chosen bond with her mates Uncles Knox and Xander is one I will never understand but will always respect. Knox and Xander are probably the most beloved Alphas in my family of shewolves, for their devotion to Aunt Freya, particularly after her assault.

So many stories followed theirs, some were beautiful in their simplicity. Many of my cousins were mated and marked in minutes of meeting their mate, and their bond is as strong and full of love as those in my family who struggled through theirs.

Hearing so many stories made me seek out my mate as I realized what had been staring me in the face.

Viggo loves me.

Or I’m pretty sure he does.

My gut twists as he stares down at me with glowing golden eyes, the weight of his body pressing me into the couch.

“If Theo was alive he would be kicking my ass for all the fuck-ups I’ve made with you.” Viggo’s response is not what I was expecting but before I can query it he pushes himself off me, grabs my hand pulling me up with ease.

“Viggo?” I ask as he leads us out of the suite, but he does not respond.

“Where are we going?” I question again as he tugs me down the stairs.

His silence is disturbing and as we approach the foyer I have a fleeting moment where I consider that Viggo could finally be done with my crap and I’m being thrown out of the pack.

Kyra growls at my stupidity and I try fruitlessly to tug my hand out of his inescapable grasp.

I huff and glare at his bare muscular back,“Seriously Viggo if you don’t tell me what the hell is going on we are going to fight in this foyer again.”

He snorts but does not reply and my next words die on my lips as we turn down a hall and through the row of glass windows that look out to the front yard, I see wolves, some in skin, some on fur, descending on the Castra.

My heart skips a fearful beat for a second before I realize these are our pack wolves and they all heading in the same direction we are.

As we reach the end of the long hall, with me still tripping behind Viggo, he opens a door and I squint at the glare of sunset striking my eyes.

I groan aloud as the loud chattering and laughing of my family rings once again in my ears.

“Viggo, seriously?” I growl low as he drags me back through the throng of my Aunt Arabella’s tea party that I has just escaped.

“Alpha Viggo!” Someone exclaims, “Quilla?” says another and the noise level lowers as Viggo cuts through the crowd until he reaches the last table where my mother sits.

“You ran away,” she frowns at me as Viggo pulls me from behind his back.

Again what I’m about to say is cut off as Viggo’s wolves round the corner enmass and my father steps out from the and walks over to stand next to my mom.