Chapter 34. Peace

QUILLA

Violence, blood, death.

Before Kyra brought forward the joyous memories of my parents and my family, the only memories I had of wolves were from the day I was taken by Cain.

Violence, blood, death.

The horrific memories of that day rush forward from the depths of my hell, wrapped in images of bloody fur, the thick scent of fear, blood, piss and shit, and the excruciating pain of my first broken bones: Cain’s favorite tactic for subduing me.

My vision fills with red. The coiling scent of wild bergamot grips my throat. Viggo’s face warps grotesquely into Cain’s angry dark features.

I stumble backward from the personified evil, my skin crawling. My bones burst with pain forcing a terror-filled cry from my throat

“Quilla!” Arms catch me before I hit the dirt, but I can’t escape the smell of blood and citrus or the monster surfacing in my memories.

“Please, No!” I scream and writhe, choking and sinking under the weight of darkness.

I hear my name being called again, arms gather me up but all is drowned by evil spewing in my memory.

Cursed fucking bitch,” slap.

This is just the beginning,” kick.

Lykanos will end with you.” punch.

The pain builds until it bursts from my throat, vomit burning as I spew on the dirt. My stomach retches and cramps until nothing but air and bile drips from my lips.

The slow clarity that comes after my stomach empties on the dirt is a welcome escape from the waking nightmare.

I feel the warmth of Viggo’s palm running up and down my back.

I hear my mother whispering words of comfort.

I smell my father’s strong reassuring scent as he pushes my hair from my face.

I see the moon rising over the red oak tree on the knoll.

I taste the relief in the air as I lean back against Viggo’s chest with a deep sigh.

Seated in the dirt, my vomit between my legs, my parents crouch in front of me, staring with deep worry etching their faces. Neo’s face is streaked with tears.

“Quilla, what happened?” She asks, reaching to cup my cheek and brush my own tears with her thumb.

I don’t even have the words to explain and am surprised when Viggo answers for me.

“She had a flashback. I’m so fucking sorry, Quilla.” he presses his forehead against the top of my head, his arms tightening around me.

I don’t even know how he knows, I’ll hazard a guess it has to do with the mate bond. Whatever it is, I’m just glad I don’t have to attempt to explain what just happened.

“No Viggo, this is on me. I brought her here. I should have known better.” Neo replies clenching her fists, her emotions choking her words.

“Enough.” Sebastian says firmly. “The only person to blame is already dead. What Quilla needs now is rest. Viggo get her out of here and both of you get cleaned up.”

I bury my face into Viggo’s armpit, drawing on his scent as it cocoons me, and a wave of unexplainable calm sinks over me.

As Viggo rises off the ground with me cradled in his arms, I keep my nose buried in his armpit where the strength of his scent chases my demons away.