Chapter Seven

Jael's Point of View

The classroom is hushed as the teacher announces the debate on same-sex marriage. Two groups are assembled. As the leader advocating for same sex marriage, I stand confidently next to Ross, who leads the opposing side.

Buryong-buryo ito habang naka tingin saakin. Parang sa kilos n'ya palang alam ko nang walang substance mga isasagot n'ya saakin. Wala pa namang kwenta kausap etong tao na 'to.

Ewan ko ba sa mga 'to bakit kami pinili ang mag debate, hindi ba nila alam na baka mag sabong lang kami dito sa harap?

"Jael, you may begin."

I step forward, eager to present my perspective.

"Same-sex couples deserve the same rights and recognition as heterosexual couples. Love knows no gender, and denying someone the right to marry the person they love is a violation of their basic human rights." I step backwards. Nag stretch pa si Ross ng kanyang ulo bago pumunta sa harapan. Parang sasabak sa gulo.

"But, Ms. Jael, the bible clearly states that marriage is between a man and a woman. We should adhere to our religious beliefs and traditions."

"I respect religious beliefs, Ross, but our laws are not based solely on any one religious text. In a secular society, we must consider the rights of everyone, regardless of their beliefs. It's about allowing individuals the freedom to make their own choices without imposing one specific set of beliefs on everyone."

"We can't ignore the foundations of our society. The traditional family structure is what has held us together for centuries. A family is meant to be a father, a mother, and children."

Napa-ismid ako. Wala na ba 'tong masabi kaya puro tungkol sa bible nalang pinag sasabi? Di ba nya alam na hiwalay ang batas sa bibliya?

"Actually, Ross, many studies have shown that children raised by same-sex couples fare just as well emotionally, socially, and academically as those raised by heterosexual couples. What matters most is a loving and supportive environment, not the gender of the parents. The Bible also says that you should not wear clothes made of two different fabrics, or eat shellfish, or cut your hair. Do you follow those rules too?" 

He smirked. "That's different."

Napa-irap ako. Walang sense! That's different daw pero wala namang masabi kung ano kina-iba.

"See? You just pick and choose what you want to believe from the Bible, and ignore the rest. That's not how it works, Ross. You can't use the Bible as a weapon to oppress and discriminate against people who are different from you."

The debate becomes more intense, our classmates starts to interject making playful comments and teasing remarks.

"Umiinit na!"

"Sa pula, sa puti!"

"Parang si Ross yung demonyo tapos nakikipag away sa isang anghel!"

"You're going down, Ross!"

Ross and I remain focused on presenting our arguments.

"I'm not oppressing or discriminating anyone. I'm just stating the truth. Same-sex marriage is unnatural, immoral, and sinful. It goes against God's design and purpose for human sexuality. It will lead to the destruction of the family, the society, and the soul." Ani nito.

"That's nonsense, Ross. Same-sex marriage is natural, moral, and loving. It is based on the mutual consent and affection of two adults who want to share their lives together. It will strengthen the family, the society, and the spirit."

Nag kakalampagan na ang mga upuan at parang tuwang-tuwa pa silang nag babatuhan kami ng mga argumento ni Ross.

Sa kada sagot ni Ross, sinasabayan nya ng nakaka asar na facial expression kaya mas lalo akong nag iinit na birahin s'ya.