Chapter 29- The box.

LATER THAT NIGHT.

DANTES POV

A date. She has a fucking date. With that fucker Conrad. After Zaria left my room early, I decided to find out who she was going out with. And of course, it's him. It's currently 7:50 and I hear a knock on the door.

"Dante can you get it please!" I hear Ria yell from the bathroom. I slowly make my way to the door greeting Carter with a bored expression. "Is Zaria here?" He questions peeking into the dorm room.

"Maybe. Depends, what do you want?" I grumble. "We have a date." He holds up the flowers in her hand as the bathroom door opens. Zaria steps out in a short, tight red dress. Her braids are in a bun and she looks. Wow.

"Hey  Carter, I'm sorry I took so long my edges would not cooperate. "You look great- he takes a step towards Zaria and I swiftly push him back. She'll be out in a minute." I close the door right in his face turning to Zaria.  

"You're ditching my race for that loser?"  I scoff. "He's not a loser, and you never want me at your races anyway! Don't be dramatic. She maneuvers around me to open the door. She greets Carter while taking the flowers from him.

I want to shoot this kid. "Where are you going?" I ask and she just rolls her eyes. "Come on Carter, let's go." She grabs his hand as they begin walking out the dorm building.

Don't want to tell me? Fine. I quickly grab my phone and keys and head out the door.

AT THE RESTAURANT
❗️ZARIAS POV❗️

"So, still no boyfriend?" Carter ask once again before taking a sip of his drink. He surprised me. We're at a very nice restaurant, and the date hasn't been... terrible. "No, still single." I respond.

I glance in the corner of the restaurant and notice someone familiar. The man glances up at me before quickly looking away. No. Fucking way. "Excuse me Carter I need to... use the bathroom."
"Of course." I flash him a small smile before standing.

I pretend to walk towards the bathroom as I duck down and walk towards the table. "What the fuck. Are you doing here?!" I snatch the hat off Ryan's head as Jayden freezes. "Hey..... ZZ. Funny seeing you here." Jayden responds in a high pitch tone. " we weren't watching you!" Ryan blurts out.

"Idiot." "Why are you guys here?" "We were hungry." I look around their table and there isn't a single plate in sight. "So why haven't you ordered?"I cross my arms glaring at the pair.

"Look Zaria, we're sorry. We were told to watch you. We will leave if you want us to?" "Yes. Yes I do. Now I have  a date to return to." I walk back to the table as Carter finishes talking to the waiter.

"You ok?" "Mhm. Perfect." I glance at the table where Jayden and Ryan were sitting and notice it's now empty. Good. "So, ready to call it a night?" I question noticing both our plates are empty."Sure... let me get the bill."

                              ...

After Carter paid the bill, we headed to his car, and headed back to the dorm. "I hope you enjoyed tonight... I'd like to do it again." He speaks breaking the silence. "Right sure." We arrive at the cold building as we exit.

As Carter walks me my door, he lightly grabs my arm. "I really like you Zaria. A lot. I hope you'll consider another date. I lightly smile before I notice him slowly inching closer to me.

He grabs the side of my face as he leans in. "Um Carter?"  I turn my head to the side "I'm sorry- I just thought-" "it's ok. I don't want to lead you on. I think you're a really cool guy. And you deserve someone special. I don't think it's me." I feel a hint of guilt as I finish speaking.