Chapter 49- traitor

Please excuse mistakes, proofreading/ editing tmr!

DANTE'S POV

Flashback to the day before

"You're still stuck on these delusions." Amusement tugged at my lips while my father continued to tell me his plans for my life.

"These delusions will become reality, or you will not take over."

"There has to be another way. Something, anything. I won't marry her. Ever." I say sternly, I won't do that to myself or Ria.

"Alright, sign an alliance with an empire. Show me you can run this without marrying her for the alliance. If not? I'll get rid of your little fling myself, and you will marry Anastasia."

His words ignited a sudden ping of anger inside of me. "Listen, and hear me well when I say this if you ever do anything to harm her you will regret it old man. Family or not."

He's taken aback by my words. "You'd jeopardize our relationship for her? I'm your father!-"

"And you've barely been that! Don't fuck with me. I'll get this alliance signed, and when I do you and your little minions can fuck off." I stand, walking out.

End of flashback.

Current time

My body relaxes as I feel Zaria's chest rise and fall as she sleeps on top of me. Hearing her talk about Gio made me want to help her forget everything that bastard did, and it made me want to protect her.

Zaria came into my life unexpectedly months ago. I tried to convinced myself I despised her. Yet here she was, lying in my clothes, in my bed. Fucking hell.

She lightly shifts, trying to get more comfortable I assume. She clutches onto me so tightly, as if she was afraid I was going to disappear if she let go. I wrap my arms firmly around her waist.

I won't ever let go.

She slowly wakes up, her eyes puffy from crying. She lifts her head, squinting her eyes. "You're up already?" She mumbles, still half-sleep.

"I didn't wake up too long ago." I haven't been to sleep because I needed to make sure you were ok.

"Oh." She says, suddenly turning her head away. "I'm sorry about last night. It was- a lot."

"Don't apologize for shit. I appreciate you trusting me enough to tell me. It took courage, Ria."

"Now." She turns back to face me. "Special arrangements?" I was hoping she let this shit go.

"Right." I sit up, bringing her to straddle me. "You won't be seeing Anastasia anymore."

"You killed her?!" Her eyes go wide- but not with fear- with excitement?

"No you fucking crazy woman. Those are the special arrangements. I have another way of dealing with my father's bullshit. It doesn't involve marriage."

She flashes that smile I've wanted to see all morning. "Really?" I nod, moving in to connect our lips. I get a sudden sense of Deja Vu when her small hand clamps over my lips.

"Morning breath."

I can't help but chuckle, "get off of me." I stand, tossing a laughing Zaria onto the bed before walking into the bathroom.

"Fucking morning breath." I mutter.

. . .

"Where is she?" Jayden questions, pacing back and forth.