21

I guess I could describe the new couple of months easily: first, Alex and I had this unbelievably romantic love. It was so strong you could sense it by just looking at us. Kissing and touching never got boring, let alone having sex. Maybe it was because a lot of the time I acted cute and hard to get, and even though Alex moaned loudly at those moments, he never got mad and seemed to just always be excited about me.

The most proud thing I held over anyone dating Alex were his grades. I had done such a great job in influencing him to do better, that his grades and attendance have improved dramatically. I remembered Dave telling me that he had really good grades back in middle school, and that he was a really smart guy. Turns out, he really was and I had a good time seeing that myself.

But then, at the very end of the school year some things started happening...

It started one day when Alex, Dave and I were at the baseball field. Dave was the pitcher and Alex was the batter. I ran around having fun collecting the balls. Alex had begged me a million times not to do it. That I shouldn't worry about them and that he or Dave will get them later on, but the truth is, I wanted to collect them for my own advantage too. Clair said that exercising during high school is one of the most important things I should get into a habit of doing, and this was a great chance for me.

That's when it happened. I ran over to get one the baseballs, like I always do, when Alex screams really loudly for me, and I look up, to see the baseball coming right at me and hitting me squarely on the left side of my forehead.

I blinked to see black spots everywhere. It seemed like I had dropped on the ground, and was now staring at the blinding spring sun. Next to me, there were voices.

I only heard one. One sentence that really took me under.

"Are you okay? Can you hear me? Please don't be hurt. Don't be hurt Isabelle—"

I think he realized what he said as soon as he said it, because he swore right after. And then I was gone into unconsciousness.

When I woke up, mom was sitting on my side, and Alex was sitting in a chair leaning forward with his face in his hands.

"Oh, honey! You're awake. Are you okay? How do you feel?"

I noticed that Alex didn't look up.

Mom came over and held my hands.

I smiled. "I feel great mom. Don't worry."

Relief covered his face.

"That's good. The doctor said there were no concussions or internal bleeding, so don't worry. Honey, next time you want to go out and run in the sun, please wear a cap."

I nodded, still smiling. "I will."

I touched my head, it was wrapped up.

"Does it hurt?"

I moved my head around, trying to feel if it hurt. "No, it doesn't hurt at all."

Mom sighed in relief. "That's good." She glanced at Alex. "Well then, I'll go get you guys something to eat."

She stood up smiling sadly at me and left.

I stared at Alex. He wouldn't look up at all.

"Ow!"

He stood up quickly and looked over, face filled with worry. "What's wrong?"

"Ow." I said again, putting on a pained expression.

He walked over, looking me over, his eyes filled with concern. "Does it hurt somewhere? Where does it hurt?"

I looked up at him, putting on my usual sad face when I want something from him. "I'm cold."