27

It took four detentions for everything to change.

I looked around my desk. I could swear up and down that I had my history book with me just last period. Except now I couldn't find it anywhere.

"Please open your books and review the chapters. Today we'll be having an open book exam on Russia's history."

I already knew this from yesterday, she already told us about this exam, but I couldn't find the book anywhere. Where on earth did it go?

"Carly, is there a problem?"

I stared at her, hating that I have to excuse myself. "I can't seem to find my book..."

She frowned at me, disapproving. "I thought I mentioned we'll be having an open book exam yesterday Carly. How hard is it for you to bring your book to class?"

I gritted my teeth.

"You know what, just sit there for a while. The exam is one hundred questions. Have fun doing them during that twenty minute lunch detention today."

I walked into the empty detention room. It had been awhile since I had been here. I looked around, reminiscing all my times as that innocent girl, either on the desk, on the floor or against the wall with Alex. They seemed to be a long time ago now, out of my reach to grasp. I touched the board. The words I had once written on here were too hard for my hand to write now.

I clutched my chest, feeling my heart burn with desire to turn back time and go back to those good days. Even though I was so confused back then, at least I was happy. Even if I was given the chance now, I couldn't go back to him. Not after how he treated me. First, accusing me of cheating on him, then to move on with a girl so fast, and last for me to come back and be treated like dirt.

I hated him. I really did. I didn't want to ever be with him ever again. I hope he is really happy with that girl Triggy.

"I sneezed a couple of times. Does that mean you were thinking about me?"

I put my hand out, not bothering to turn around from where I sat on the floor. "My book."

Instead of handing me my book, he sat next to me and opened it in front of us. Like a hard working student, he opened my paper packet of questions and thoughtfully said. "Let's see..."

"What are you doing?" I insisted, trying to grab the questions packet. "This is an exam. Go away."

He tightened his grip on the packet before I freed it from him. "An open book exam, whether you get the answers or not, doesn't help you much. If this relies on hawk eyes, then it really shouldn't matter. All we need to do is find the answers in those chapters, right?"

I huffed. "Won't you leave me alone?"

He shrugged. "Nope. I thought I explained myself last time. I'm not explaining myself again."

"What about your girlfriend? Did she cheer you on being with another girl that hates you?"

He stared at me, hard. Then shrugging, he looked back down at the paper and studied the questions. "She loves me a lot. Trusts me too. She knows this is just a part of my life that I have to get closure from and get rid of."

I swallowed a huge lump that formed in my throat. It was as if he had literally torn my heart out of chest and ripped it into pieces. I hid the fists that I made under my legs, I couldn't show him what I felt and I was glad his attention wasn't over here. She loves me a lot. Trusts me too. He said it as if he knew nothing else more true. As if he knew her that well. She knows this is just a part of my life that I have to get closure from and get rid of.