29

I wasn't sure if the heartbreak this time was as painful as the last time or not, actually, no, I was sure it was. Last time, in the back of my mind I always had the feeling that I might be able to return to him if I came back that day or the next, but right now I knew no matter what I did Alex would never be my boyfriend again. For now, he was someone else's, and I wasn't sure if that someone was going to let go of him so easily.

Every time I'd think about us being over and through now beyond repair, I'd drown in despair and cry my eyes out. I can tell mom and Bailey are sick worried about me, even Justin and Clair had put the wedding plans aside because of me. They tried to take my mind off of it by taking me to a lot of places, but unlike the incident from before, Alex's words hovered over me like a dark cloud whereever I went.

Even when I was standing beside the school under a small roof a couple of days later, where it was sprinkling and I didn't have an umbrella, all I could do was stare off into space and not notice when the light rain had stopped to go home. Everyone could tell how bad my mood was, how bad my attention in my classes had become, but no one knew exactly why. I wondered if this is what it meant to be love sick.

I didn't even notice the girl that walked up to me and japed her finger angrily at my shoulder.

I looked down from where I was staring off at the sky, it was Triggy.

"What's going on?" I asked, surprised by her sudden appearance. She looked really upset too.

"You! It's all your fault. You turned him inside out the moment you came back."

She slapped me, hard across the face, but I couldn't react, or fight back, because I knew I was doing something wrong in the first place. I had, without a doubt or shame, wished that Alex would break up with her and take me back instead. I was messing with her love life, so how could I put up a fight against her when I was the bad person here?

"Didn't I tell you to go back?!" She screamed in my face. Tears flew down her face, and she attacked my hair and face with her nails. Even to that, I let her at it. I couldn't push her away, I couldn't even tell her to stop.

"You're messing up peoples' lives! Go back to where you were! Go back and don't let me see your face again!"

With her last word, she pushed me hard and made me stumble backwards. I winced as my ankle twisted and pain jolted up my leg.

I could feel the burns of where her nails scratched my cheeks and neck, or my hair that was now all over my head with strands falling everywhere on my face.

She huffed at me, wiping her tears angrily.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, looking at my feet. I owed her that much for trying to interfere between her and her boyfriend.

She gave a little angry scream. "You bitch! Don't act all innocent." She attacked me again, this time, I didn't move not only because I let her, but because my hurt ankle wouldn't let me either.

"Triggy!" A deep loud voice yelled from behind.

Alex walked over and pulled her away from me, she didn't stop crying as she faced him and said, "I'm sorry, I promised you that I wouldn't do anything, but I couldn't. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just can't let it go that easily..."

I watched as Alex sighed and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her to his chest while she kept on weeping her eyes out.

"It's okay." He whispered in her hair. "It's alright. I understand."

He turned around, guiding her with him, and walked away.

I sank to the ground, not bothering to remove the hair off of my face, and wrapped my arms around my knees. I started sobbing uncontrollably. If she had kept on attacking me, I wouldn't have minded it much. I would have taken all of the scratching and hair pulling just to not see him take her side like that.