25

I walked through the crowds and crowds of drunken high school students and made my way to the kitchen. The lights were really dim—or turned off, I'm not really sure at this point—the music was really loud, and the smell of cigarettes was everywhere.

"Here's a drink." A guy much older than me said as he handed me a red solo cup.

I smiled and took it.

The kitchen was filled with other people. The whole house was packed. The smell of beer and sweat was absolutely nauseating.

I sneaked to the sink, and where no one was looking I spilled my cup out and rinsed it, then quickly took out my Ginger Ale bottle from my purse and filled the cup with it instead.

Smiling, I made my way out of the cramped kitchen and back into the party.

I've been dancing with this boy that didn't seem to be as drunk as the rest. As for me, I wasn't drunk at all, while everyone was completely out of it, it felt like I was in complete control of everything.

This boy though, seemed to be somewhat like me. He drank, I can smell it on him, but probably just a couple of sips.

"Can I talk to you?" He said. "Aside, I mean."

I smiled and nodded. He took my hand and led me away.

As we were making our way to the kitchen, at the far side of the house there stood Alex and Triggy, making out against the wall.

I looked away, the sight ruining my mood.

In the kitchen, the boy cornered me near the sink.

"I'm Nile." He said.

"I'm—"

"Carly, I know." He smiled.

I wonder... I wonder what they do when their alone. Does he touch her... like he used to touch me...?

A chill ran down my spine at the thought of it. I tried to focus on the boy in front of me, Nile. Like how pretty his gray eyes were and how his teeth were perfect and pearl white.

"You were thinking about him, weren't you?"

I snapped my complete attention on him, taken aback.

"I guess I was right." He sighed.

"N—No I wasn't."

He smiled. "You don't have to lie, though it's cute that you would. It's alright. I can sometimes look at people and tell what they're going through. You didn't realize that after all that time you've been together, he'd actually move on so easily, huh?"

I swallowed, only struck with more surprise by the second. "How would you—"

He chuckled. "I'm sorry, I probably sound like a stalker right now. Truth is, in ninth grade I asked you out in the beginning of the school year, and then I asked you out again to prom but you refused both. I had a crush on you."

I blinked rapidly, mostly in awe. It was the first time someone told me that they had a crush on me. Especially to think in ninth grade, when I had looked a little less of what I did now.

"But it wasn't that serious." He quickly added. "You dated Alex and I knew I couldn't chase you anymore. So I stopped. But now that you're single, every time I try to approach you at school, you're always surrounded by people, which kind of makes it hard."

"Oh." This was really awkward. I had no idea what to do.

"So I'm going to go ahead and say it now. Will you be my girlfriend? I'll treat you right. You can get to know me slowly as we date, and if you don't like what you see we can break up and call a truce."