Chapter 41

"It was a failed experiment Natasha,
Dreykov tried to chemically control
my generation of widows but most of
them were killed during testing. All but
6. 4 of them got out and for a long time
It was just Oksana and I left from our generation but she got out a few months
ago, she got her hands on an antidote.
I was sent on a mission the retrieve the antidote and she exposed me. I killed the
Widow that freed me" Yelena told Nat, regret and guilt evident in her voice.

"You can't blame yourself Yelena. It wasn't your fault" Nat tried her best to reassure, "If none of his remaining widows are under
the chemical mind control then why does
Dreykov want the antidote so bad?"

"He's got a new one ready to go, he wanted to ensure all the antidotes were destroyed before the experiments toke place" Yelena shared the information she had overheard Jonah talking about a few days ago. "What you went through was phycological mind control. This is different Natasha, I'm talking about chemically altering brain functions. They're two different things, You're fully conscious, but you don't know which part is you. I'm still not sure" Yelena shrugged. "I couldn't remember anything from my past, I couldn't remember you but I knew you were important to me, I knew you meant something to me. Every time he mentioned you there was something inside of me begging to remember but the chemicals were too strong"

Natasha's heart pained with guilt as she took in Yelena's current state. Yelena was hurting, she was lost. And Nat couldn't help but blame herself. If only she'd had known Dreykov was still around, if she hadn't been so naive she could of saved Yelena.

"Lena I'm so sorry. I thought you got out
If I had known I would of-"

"Come back for me? No you wouldn't of.
It's fine don't be sorry, like you said earlier
we weren't really sisters. It was just a mission" Yelena reminded her.

Nat winced as Yelena brought up the words she had said earlier, Nat hadn't really meant it. Yelena was and will always be her sister.

"Look Yelena I really
need your help, Dreykov-"

"Who are they?" Yelena asked
as she pointed to Nats phone, her
Lock Screen on display.

Nat smiled sadly,
picking up her phone and
looking at the picture,
"my boyfriend and our daughters"

"You have kids? Is that captain America?"

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about.
Dreykov took my girls Yelena. I need them back, I just want them home and safe"

Yelena had come to a realization,it felt as though all of her senses were working in slow motion, the world around her coming to a halt as she reached over for the phone, looking at the picture properly before she realized the mistake she had made.

"No, no, no, no" Yelena whispered to herself
as she recognized the girls in the picture. AJ and Wanda, they were Natasha's daughters. They were her nieces. Yelena had taken them to the red room. "Natasha I'm so sorry. I took them, they were my mission. I handed them to Dreykov I'm sorry. I'm sorry" Yelena cried.

The truth was that Nat wasn't actually all that surprised by what Yelena had confessed, as she now realized just how reliant Dryekov was on Yelena, she was the only widow he could get to do whatever he truly wanted, she didn't have a choice but to obey his orders.

Nat moved from her seat across the table to the chair next to Yelena, wrapping her arms around her.

"Yelena listen to me. It is not your fault! It was him, you have nothing to be sorry for
I know it wasn't you. I don't blame you. I'm sorry for everything Lena, you're my sister. You're my real sister and I should have never left you" Nat whispered as she held her sister close.

Yelena sobbed in Nats arms overwhelmed with guilt and regret, "I didn't know they were your girls Natasha I'm sorry"

"It's okay"

——

After Yelena had calmed down, Bucky came back the the table with Food and Drinks.
The sisters didn't have much of an appetite but they gladly excepted the beers.

"I'm sorry I really don't know
where the red room is, Widows
are sedated on entrance and exit"
Yelena told them truthfully.

"It's okay. The question is do you wanna help us take Dreykov and the red room down?" Bucky asked, he was ready to get rid of the red room and get his nieces home safe.

"Sounds impossible but fun.
I'm in" Yelena shrugged, she owed
It to Natasha and her daughters to help.
She also wanted to help Lyza, Vic and Tommy they were her friends she couldn't turn her back on them.

"Where do we start?" Bucky asked Nat.

"You know where Alexei is?" Nat looked at Yelena.

"Alexei? Dad?" Yelena chuckled humorously,
"Dreykov had him locked up in the seventh circle"

"You think he knows where
the red room is?"

"I wouldn't be surprised"

"Well then to Russia we go" Nat smirked, she was ready to do this. She was going to kill Dreykov and most importantly she was going to get her daughters back, she just hoped that he hadn't got into their heads.

"We're gonna need something a little less eye catching then the avengers quinjet. I
Don't know maybe a plane or a helicopter" Bucky suggested. If they were gonna attempt a prison break a large quinjet would be sure to draw unwanted attention.

"You're right. Leave it with me,I'll call Tony see what he can get us on such short notice" Nat told him.

"I thought you guys
weren't talking to him?"
Yelena furrowed her brows.

"We're not but despite everything, the avengers are family and we'll always be there when one of us needs it" Bucky smiled. The Avengers were complicated, a lot of people had their differences but they loved each other and they always would.

——
A/N: I liked writing this chapter

Thank you for reading 🫡