Chapter 67

Time: To relax and Unwind
Place: anywhere but the compound

Clint and Natasha had headed out to one of the bars downtown, with Nat having a real need to escape the confines of the compound and get some space, Clint figured a drink would do her some good.
They sat together in a quieter corner of the bar enjoying some beer as they talked.

"How's Laura and the kids?"

"They're good, Lila misses you a lot though and Nate don't even get me started on him. The two weeks I was at home everyday he'd asked the same thing,always 'Can I see Aj yet?' he's desperate. Oh yeah and Laura's is planning a girls getaway for you,Pep and her, she said something about Italy, I tried to tell her that Italy wouldn't be your first choice and you'd much rather go somewhere like Greece but she wasn't having any of it. Apparently she knows you better then I do, even though I'm the bestfriend, she's just the bestfriends wife"

Natasha smiled as Clint filled her on his family, watching as his eyes glistened with pride as he did so, it reminded her of Steve when he talked about her or the girls. She was really missing Steve's presence.

"First of tell Lila I miss her too, I'll send her a text and catch up with her. And tell Nate that Aj won't stop asking about him either and I'm sure they'll see each other soon. As for the girls get away, tell Laura to count me out" Natasha chuckled.

"How comes?" Clint asked.

"Because as much as I love them, Pepper and Laura stress me out as much as my kids do"

Clint laughed, "Yeah. I think I'd feel the same way if I was invited on a boys getaway, Thor and Tony would drive me crazy, Sam would be so annoying, Buck and Steve would be alright though. Maybe I'll have to book a holiday with them when Steve's better"

"I don't think he's going to get better Clint"
Natasha told her friend truthfully.

"Don't say that Natasha, as much as it's frustrating that nothings changed, at least he's not gotten worse" Clint pointed out, his voice laced with hope.

Natasha shook her head as she sighed,
"At first it was a good thing but he's not making any progress and if he doesn't in the next week, Dr Cho said that the possibilities won't go in his favor" She took a long sip of her beer when she finished talking, hopeful the alcohol would help her feel better about everything but it didn't .

"I'm sorry Natasha, I know it's hard"

"I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't pull through, I'm already falling apart and he's still here"

"You're not falling apart Tasha, you're upset and you're hurt. You're going through a real shitty time right now, nobody expects you to be okay"

"I owe it to the girls to at least try and hold myself together" Natasha argued.

"The girls don't expect you to do that either Natasha. Right now they probably understand what you're going through more than anyone else, you don't have to act strong for them, they get it." Clint spoke wisely, Natasha was grateful he always knew the right thing to say.

Nat let out a shaky breathe,"I just want Steve back"

"I know you do and you'll have him back soon, I know it. He's so strong" Clint reassured her, he hadn't lost hope, he knew Steve could pull through.