Chapter 57

Time: Extremely inconvenient
Place: The Avengers compound

"Everyone is too fragile right now, The leader of our team, our friend, our family is currently fighting for his life in surgery. We just got the girls back and we're trying to get them settled in. We cannot possibly go on a mission right now" Clint snapped he couldn't believe what Fury was asking of them.

"And i understand that Barton I do but when Natasha sent me the red room files we did some digging and found out they have some scientists working remotely outside of Morocco"

"Why does it matter? Dreykovs dead"

"It matters because if the rest of them vials fall into the wrong peoples hands who knows what could happen, I know this is inconvenient timing and I don't want to ask this of you guys but I have no other options"

Clint sighed as he considered the mission that Nick Fury had laid out for them. He knew full well that Nick wouldn't ask them to undertake this task if it wasn't a serious matter, but at the same time, he wasn't sure which of the Avengers would be able to handle it mentally and emotionally in this state. "In all honesty nobody is in the right state of mind to complete any mission right now. Bucky and Natasha need to be home for the girls, they have enough on there plate as it is. Tony and Bruce are in surgery with Steve trying to ensure he at least makes it through the night! Thors a complete mess, he had to watch Steve bleed out in his arms and it's fucked him mentally. I don't know what you want me to do,
I don't have a team right now"

"Peter Parker and Kate Bishop have been exceeding in their training-"

Clint scoffed, "over my dead body are we sending the two children to deal with this"

Natasha overheard the conversation that was taking place between Clint and Nick Fury, and she found herself in agreement with Clint . He made some valid points but she had an idea that she felt could be the solution to their boss's dilemmas. With a confident look on her face, she approached the two men, "Nick?"

"Agent Romanoff" Fury greeted as he pulled her into a short hug.

"I have an idea and your not going to like it but I need you to hear me out please"
Natasha looked at him with hopeful eyes.

Fury groaned, he already didn't like the idea and she hadn't even shared it yet, but he was doing to hear her out regardless, he had a soft spot for the agent not to mention he cared for her deeply.
"You have the floor Romanoff"

"Absolutely not! Have you lost your damn mind" Fury gasped dramatically having listened to Natasha's idea.

Natasha suggested that instead of sending the Avengers on this mission, that Nick Fury should send the Widows alongside Alexei and Melina. Fury thought her suggestion to be madness, but she insisted that it was the solution that made the most sense given the current circumstances. "Why not?" She asked crossing her arms over her chest, her eyebrows knitted in a frown.

"Because I don't trust them"

"No but you trust me right?"

"Of course I do Natasha but-"

"When I got out of the red room you gave me a chance to prove myself, why not give them the same opportunity. They have a lot of potential Nick, you'd be stupid not to consider them for Shield agents"