These Memories (Part 2/4)

I'm back, although slightly late. It's been a long week for me, but here's your chapter!

(I didn't even realize, but this one is about twice the length of a normal chapter for this story)

............................................................

//CHAPTER 8.2

Orange

Nostalgia tugs at my heartstrings,

A bittersweet melody it sings.

For in that fleeting moment, I see,

The child I was, the child I used to be.

..................................................

{[~Afternoon of July 8, 1992~]}

Orange was in the theater room with Green. They had both just finished another training session. This time, the humans were training them to communicate. While neither one could talk in their language, they had been trained with some basic gestures, such as "come here," "stop," "over there," and so forth.

Green sighed as he flopped down onto the floor, his big arms spread out. "I'm exhausted." He said.

Orange rolled his eyes. "Oh, don't be so dramatic, Green. The lesson was a lot easier today than it was last week."

Green snorted, "Well at least the 'responding to verbal commands lesson' didn't require eyesight."

Orange chuckled, "Well, if you want to have a good performance for the kids after the break, then we need to be in tip-top shape. Which means learning some cool new tricks to impress them with."

Green sighed again, but this time it was a happy sigh. "Yeah. Maybe I could finally be allowed to play with the equipment again. The kids love it when I lift them all around it and let them hang on my arms."

"Well, then you'd better behave if you want to do that again. They have to believe that you're safe, not dangerous."

"They just fell off, I would never hurt a child!"

"I know Green, but the humans don't know that."

Green sat up, "What about you? Do you think they're going to let you play with the bouncy balls again?"

Orange shrugged, "I think I got too rough or something, they still won't give me any. That's too bad, the kids also love when we play keep away. I-"

Orange coughed as he tried to finish what he was saying, but had to stop before he ended up hurting his throat. His tail lashed frustratedly. He often wondered why couldn't he talk as well as the others. Was something wrong with him?

Green, concerned, glanced in Orange's direction. The Green monster didn't have very good eyesight at all. In fact, he could only see the fuzzy shapes of things, not any details, and it seemed to be constantly growing worse.

Before either of them spoke again, they heard footsteps from down the hall. Orange groaned. Someone was always trying to interrupt the only unsupervised and unrestrained time that they had during the day.

Orange and Green both turned to look, and they saw the one human walk through the doorway. Orange leapt up, and Green sniffed the air, trying to distinguish who it was, even though his sense of smell was not that great either.

It was his favorite human. The only one who could actually speak to the Rainbow Friends instead of sounding like he was speaking in complete gibberish.