Prologue

There's a familiar fainting sound inside this bedroom. I can hear it over Louis' loud snoring. I turn around from facing his face to the ceiling. The ceiling is leaking again, but this time on the other side of the room. I groan loudly, without thinking I could wake my husband up. I throw my legs over the bed and touch the ground, the wooden floor creaks and I inhale. A different morning, same ol' shit.

I stretch my legs and arms. My back cracks making me let out an exhausted breath and I rub the back of my neck as I head to the bathroom. I really do need my usual morning caramel coffee with blueberry waffles on the side. I take out a bucket I use to accumulate water to shower and use it for the ceiling.

"Again?" I can hear Louis' lazy voice and I nod, unbelieving our bad luck.

"I told you to call someone to repair this."

"I can repair it myself." He sits up, his hand gripping his head.

"No you can not. Look for the phone book and call for help. I'm freaking tired of this dump."

"Dump." He repeats with a nod, "This is our home."

"Louis, it's falling apart." I sit on the edge of the bed and place my hand on his covered leg. I put the other one on my chest, "It's a wooden house with two small bedrooms, one little kitchen, and one bathroom which is in our room."

"I think it's enough, babe."

"No, it's not."

"What do you want me to do?"

I scoff, "Get a job, Louis!"

This is similar to our arguments we have almost every day for the past two years. It always end up me asking him to get a job while he says he will and ends up watching in our television black and white films.

Our love started writing itself when we were in the university, fell in love without a problem, and married each other at the age of twenty and it's been six years, our daughter is five and she's deaf and mute, and we're broke to pay for her technology.

Louis worked at a factory, but the factory closed and fired all of the employees, leaving him without a job. In the other side, I decided to be a housewife and care for our daughter. It's been two years of living this way and our problems is affecting our marriage. We're falling apart. Sometimes I think Louis doesn't love me, sometimes I feel like I don't love him anymore.

"Laneece, right now what matters is the heart transplant."

One year ago, I was diagnosed with depression and my medicine helps me, sometimes they make me even sadder because of the fact I need them. Few months ago, for all the stress, anxiety, and depression made me have a heart attack. After a week of the incident, I had another one, making my heart start failing drastically.

I'm getting a heart transplant next week and if I say I'm not nervous, I'm lying. I hate Louis for mentioning it. My morning is now ruined.

Caramel coffee and blueberry are served at the table by Louis. I breathe in the decent aroma. Kelsey, my daughter walks toward her toy on the floor.

"I can't believe you're making breakfast other than drinking wine."

"I was about to pour myself a glass though," he sarcastically smiles and rubs his fingers on his bearded chin. I roll my eyes and cross my arms against my chest, "but I just found out the bottle is empty."

"I flushed it down the toilet."

He closes his eyes and exhales through his mouth, "Why would you do that?"

"Because I can." I grab the waffle with my hand and take a bite. "Are you not eating?"

"There's nothing to eat. We're out of food. I made you and our girl the waffles left in the box."

"You sacrificed for us? How sweet!" I say sarcastically.

"Stop being this way, please," he sounds exhausted and I decide to give him a break.

"Here I'm not hungry."

"No, eat it."

"Louis."

"Laneece."

"Eat, for me."

He sighs and grabs the waffle from my hand. He smashes it against my face, getting my face covered in syrup. It drops to the floor and I gasp, taking the syrup bottle and spilling in my hand before I slap him with it. I laugh as he gasps and he wraps his arm around me while I try to run away. He pushes me against the counter and turns me around, grabbing my face and pressing his lips against mine.

It's been long since the last time we were playful. Not always, he kiss me, not always, I kiss him back.

"I love you, darling."

"I love you more."

"Listen, I'm really worried about something,"

"That is?"

"Since you're getting a heart transplant," he bites his bottom lip, "does this mean when you have a new heart I have to conquer you again?"

I laugh, "Explain?"

"I have to steal your heart again?"

I hold his face and kiss him, "Same feelings, different heart, Lou."

"I know, I'm kidding."

"I hope everything goes well."

"It will."

There's a knock in the door and we check the clock hanging on the wall - its 7:15. Every school day, my neighbor Lawrence arrives at 7:15 to take Kelsey to Pre-School since we don't have a car - well, we do, it doesn't work, and it's getting rusty outside. It's depressing.

"It's Lawrence!" She says with her high-pitched voice. "Open up, up, up, up!"

"Ugh, you get the door." He leaves the kitchen and carries Kelsey to press his lips on her little lips and then to her forehead. He loves her so much. He's an incredible father. He starts communicating her with sign language, he tells her he loves her and she smiles before squeezing him. Watching them together makes me happy. The happiest woman alive.

"Laneece! Louis!"

I open the door just to be greeted by a bear hug and a wet kiss on my cheek. I try not to be seem disgusted until she barges inside. Louis and I give each other a look before he rolls his eyes, irritated.

I hear a honk and I see Niall, her husband, waving at us.

"Oh God," I say under my breath. He bought a Volky. With the money he used to buy that car, I could've bought a Range Rover. I wave back before he gets out and barges inside the house, practically dragging Louis to show him his brand new car.

"So," Lawrence picks up my daughter, "What will you be doing tonight?"

"I think I will be repairing the ceiling with Louis."

"Again?" She gasps, dramatically.

"Yeah."

"No freaking way. I feel so bad for you two," she pouts, "Your life sucks. I wish I could help. I can ask Niall if he knows how to repair that. We haven't experienced that problem though."

"I-It's okay." I want her to leave already.

"Oh well, I'll see you later."

Bye Kelsey, I say in sign language and she pouts her lips to kiss me.

Louis and I stand at the front porch, waving our goodbyes while they leave with our daughter.

"Should we get to work?" He asks.

"Yep, sir."

I used to complain so much about my life, sadly I didn't realize what I had was enough for me. If I knew... something bad was going to happen to me, I would've cherished everything.