.27

T W O M O N T H S L A T E R

Ian

"You don't have to come visit me every weekend," Laneece looks down at her sleeve covered hands, her voice soft and little, "I know you have things to do."

"As in to get you out of here."

She doesn't even look up and says, "That's not it."

Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't, but the past two months my life has revolved around Laneece.

I have not yet found proof that Harry is stealing money from the company and keeping her in this institution against her will.

She seems so unhappy and older than her age, her hair is a tangled mess, her cheeks are dry and red, lips chapped and eyes puffy and tired. She's skinner, she's told me she rejects the food and pills.

"I want to get you out of here."

"I don't want to go back and realize Louis and Kelsey won't be there." She shakes her head, face falling onto her hands. "I want to stay here. I really do."

"If you're unhappy here, why do you want to stay?"

"Don't you get it? I'm going to be unhappy everywhere I go." She whispers, "I have no one."

I look away from her, hurt and she grabs my hand.

"But I do have you."

"And I want to make you happy Laneece." I say to her. She wets her lips with her tongue and closes her eyes with a heavy sigh. "Forget Louis. Maybe this is what your new life is telling you. This is a new start for you..."

"Louis is my husband."

"He's not anymore. Not legally."

"Our souls are married, Ian. I belong to him."

"But he doesn't want you." I raise my voice and her eyes get teary. "I know I sound harsh, but I'm your friend. I'm supposed to slap you back to reality."

"Thank God you don't mean it literally."

"Laneece,"

"Ian," she tilts her head, "I appreciate what you're doing but I'm fine."

"So tell me why you're crying?"

She slumps her shoulders and puts her head down against the table. I stand up and kneel down next to her, kissing her arm and rubbing her back.

"Look at me."

She doesn't look at me until I repeat. She turns to me and looks down, tears soaking her neck and the collar of her white shirt.

"I will get you out of here. I know I say this too much, but I will. Harry won't have power over us again and," I grab her hands. "Once you're out of here and file your divorce, you're coming to live with me."

"I don't want to be a bother."

"No," I shake my head, "I want you to marry me."

Her eyes widen and a security walks into the room saying our time is up.

___

As I leave the institution, I take out my car keys and find Louis standing not so far from me, looking up at the building behind me. He doesn't notice me until I stand in front of him, patting his shoulder.

"Louis,"

He stands up straight and clears his throat, "Hey, what's up?"

"What are you doing here, Tomlinson?"

He runs his fingers through his hair. "How is she?"

"You could just go in there and find out yourself. How long have you been here?"

"I just came back from France today; there's a fine art auction I have to attend this weekend."

"So you didn't come back for your wife."

"No." He looks down. "That's not my wife, that's a woman I don't know."

"That's Laneece."

"It's fucked up, Ian. I don't want shit with her. I'm not into that diabolic shit."

"Do you how much I wish to see Mia again?"

"She's inside that building go say hello."

"That's her body but that's not her. Oh I wouldn't care if Mia shows up inside another body, I would love her because I fell in love with her soul, not her-"

"Appearance. Listen, I don't need pep talks." He walks to his car, "And I'm taken."

"Why are you being such an asshole?! That's your wife in there! Just go see her. Cherish the fact that she is alive!"

He opens the door to his car, "Thank you for being there for her. She doesn't need me." He takes out a flyer from his pocket and hands it to me. "Come down to Manhattan to the fine art auction at Montalvo's Museum."

He gets inside his car – brand new car and drives away.

I wouldn't dare tell Laneece what just happened.