.06

His voice. Louis' voice brought tears to my eyes, even though it was deep and sounding as if he was drunk. That wasn't something new to me... he was a drunk and after all, I loved him. I moved from the kitchen before the maid could hear me and lock myself in the basement.

"Hello?" He sounds annoyed, "I'm going hang up."

"I can hear you." I say with my voice-sounding steady even though all of me is shaking, "Louis, thank you for calling me."

"Stop harassing Lawrence and calling this number. I'm not interested on what you're offering me," he says and I hear Lawrence in the background scolding him in a whisper, "Leave us alone."

"But" I didn't know I would come this far, and I didn't prepare what to say. All this time waiting for him to call me is going to waste? I have to invent something out of nothing. I've never been a businesswoman. What would Mia do to get someone to work the company? "This is a huge opportunity you're letting down, Mr. Tomlinson. I guess we might as well look for another-"

"What do you do in your company?" He asks sounding interested. I stare at the brown boxes in front of me. I don't quite remember what Harry told me about the company, but I think I have something storage in the back of my brain, "We are an art company, we hire talented painters for public art around in New York."

"What makes you think I paint? Who told you about it?"

"Laneece Tomlinson."

He sighs, "She would always tell people I paint."

I smile, remembering the paint he did of flowers for our baby's room. He was satisfied even though he only had to paint with green and yellow. That day he covered me in green paint and I was angry because of my mood swings by being pregnant and we started fighting. Now I regret it and wish I could turn back time and ask him to teach me how to paint - maybe there's a chance out there. Maybe it's not too late to be with Louis again.

"She showed me some of your paintings. You're really talented."

"She says I'm talented." Louis whispers and Lawrence in the background squeals annoyingly and whispers at least there's something you're good at more than drinking wine and I stifle a laugh. I hear Niall in the background saying to him to accept the job for me, for Laneece. My legs freeze and he says, "I think, I think I can try it out. When's my interview? Do I have to go there? Listen, I don't have money in pocket."

"We... We will go to London."

"For me?"

"I, um, no, we interview people from the entire world. This time we're going to London." I lie and he hums. I can't make it obvious.

"Well then, you will call me when you're here right?" He asks.

"Yes, of course."

"I have to buy myself a phone, goddamn." He whispers to someone in the background. "All right, thanks and sorry if I was rude."

"You were very rude, sir." I smile widely.

"It'll never happen again."

After that, we hang up and I place my phone against my chest and whisper, "I love you." I delete the phone number and meet Theresa in the kitchen.

"Were you talking on the phone?"

"No." I place the phone down. "It's none of your business."

"Harry told me to write the numbers down."

"Okay, why did he tell you to do that?"

"There were nights you would wake up and call a strange number, he noticed but then you said it was your best friend Ian," she shrugs, "I know you were saying the truth, but poor Harry still thinks you two are best friends when you're actually cheating on him with him. I sort of heard you having sex over the phone."