.03

Chapter Three

Shrinking inside a hole, I still can't wrap my head that this is reality. I've pinched myself, dearly and caused pain by slapping my cheeks. After every ache, I'm closer to giving up. What I am living now feels surreal and it's real. I don't know how to get back, if there's a chance I could - that is.

The sound of violin coming from the kids' room stops when the maid calls the twins to come over. She gives me a sympathetic smile before saying, "By the way, I'm Theresa."

"Theresa." I nod.

Halpert and Harriet walks down in their uniform, holding their violins in hands and backpack in their backs.

"Don't worry mummy, we will show you the way." Harriet says, holding my hand and Halpert holds the other one. It took everything in me not to snatch my hands away from them. Theresa was watching me with pity and I hated it. I don't have amnesia! I'm stuck in a body that's not mine.

We trudge like soldiers in our way to their school.

"Are you sure you don't remember us?" Harriet says, her green eyes squinting at me. I nod and she hums, "Are you sure you don't remember I got a D in my test?"

They aren't my children, I shouldn't even care, but for the sake of not ruining this family too, I say with authority, "Then study harder, Harriet. I may not remember anything, but that doesn't mean I still can't be your mother."

"Look, it's snowing again." Halpert squeals and Harriet starts opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out.

I look up to sky and a snowflake falls to the tip of my nose. I close my eyes and let it melt. I wish, right now, I were here with Louis. I can't imagine how devastated he is about my death while I'm here, alive.

When am I going to be with him again?

People pass me by, I can feel them staring at me and I open my eyes to see the kids staring at me with their head to the side. I pinch my bottom lip and hold back a sob. This is not normal.

I left the kids in their private school and I walk back to the house, playing with my mittens.

I'm alone in the house and I call Lawrence again.

"Hello?" She sounds as if she's been crying.

"Hi," I say chewing the inside of cheek.

"Who is this?"

"Is... Is Louis there?"

"Who is this?" She says higher. I cover my face as I begin to cry barely audible. I don't know what to freaking say. I hear her hang up and I break down in bed. I need to see Louis again. I need to tell him I'm here. I never left. My feelings for him remain, in a different heart.

At the afternoon, the kids come home from school saying I forgot to pick them up. They talk and talk, driving me crazy while Theresa makes me caramel coffee. Just the thought of Louis having to explain my death to Kelsey drive me crazy.

Before I know it, I'm storming out of the house and down the streets. A car stops next to me and I see Harry getting out of his car. He buttons his suit and he seems concern about me, "Mia? What are you doing here?"

"I don't feel like home." I cry and he grabs my shoulders.

"Let's, let's go somewhere to take our mind off things? I just got out of work."

"I don't know you, Harry." I say and he looks hurt.

"Mia," he holds my hand. "Trust me."

He has a gray scarf around his neck, his hands are covered with mittens, and he's holding my shoulders as he speaks, white puffs coming out of his mouth, "Let me, Mia. Please." His cheeks and nose are pinks. He's cold.