34.

"Mate?" Julian shook me out of my thoughts. "Go to see Nova, I'm gonna say goodbye to Piper"

"Wha-what?" I frowned.

"Did you zone out or something?" Julian frowned as well. "He was talking about Piper. Nova is out of surgery, so please go to her"

That's why the light in his eyes went out - he lost the love of his life.

And I felt so selfish, so bad because I was actually relieved. I was happy Nova was fine, was still alive.

While Piper died.

I nodded and pulled him in a hug. "I am so sorry"

And I was sorry for him, because for a slight moment, I realized how it felt to lose the love of your life.

She changed him, changed him completely. I think she was the only girl he ever loved.

She was his sun.

"Go to your girl" Julian said, clenching his teeth against each other. "I will be there in a bit"

I nodded again, looked at him as he followed some guy.

And I did the same, I followed someone else to Nova's room.

She wasn't awake yet - which I expected.

So I, once again, waiting for hours, with her hand in mine.

Until she woke up.

My heart skipped a beat when her eyes opened, slowly.

She turned her head to me, a little smile on her face. "Baby" she mumbled.

"Fuck Nova-" I wanted to hug her, pull her into my arms, but I couldn't. So I just squeezed her hand. "How are you feeling?"

"Could be better" she flinched as she sat up a little.

And then she looked at Julian, who tried to smile, but his eyes were red, puffy.

"You scared us baby Hayes" he forced a smile.

She then realized what happened. Julian was sitting in her room, not in Piper's.

"Where is Pipes?" She asked. Looking at both Julian and me.

I didn't respond, I couldn't. Couldn't break her heart.

"She didn't make it" Julian said.

"No-" she put her hand on her mouth, looking back at me. "Tell me this isn't true"

"I am sorry baby" I grabbed her hand again. "I am so sorry"

She shook her head. "It's my fault" she mumbled, and looked back at Julian. "I am so sorry Julian"

"It's not your fault" he said. "Some drunk idiot crashed into you"

I was sure he was gonna make him pay, as he should.

Nova laid back down, cried about Piper for an hour and I didn't know how to make her feel better.
I couldn't.

Julian left, giving us privacy, but I guess he needed a moment alone as well.

Nova looked at me, put her hands on her belly. "What about-?"

I had to break her heart again, and this time Julian wasn't here to do the difficult part.

I shook my head. "I am sorry"

She didn't cry anymore, guess she was already expecting the answer. She just intertwined our fingers and looked at me.

"The stars aren't looking so bright right now"

She was right about that, but at least my sun was still here.

"The sky gained two bright stars though" I said quietly.

Nova nodded. "They will make the other stars look pathetic"