Chapter 23

Jamal showered my face with kisses as Paris told us we were free to go. I felt complete, and happy for the first time in my life. I placed my hands on my stomach and smiled as I basked in the feel of my mate's love.

Jamal ushered us out in the hall, not letting anyone or anything touch me. He even put my seat belt on me as we got in the car. I laughed, "Good lord, Jamal, the baby doesn't even have arms or legs and your this protective."

He kissed my cheek but didn't reply. The drive back home was silent as I thought about our baby having my green eyes or Jamal's sparkling blue ones. I placed my hands on my stomach and smiled to myself.

I glanced up to see Jamal starring at me with a look of wonder. Jamal reached over and grabbed one of my hands. The drive back was silent as I began thinking of the little life growing inside me.

As we got to the pack house a man stood in front of it looking grim. I shot a look at Jamal but his face was emotionless. We got out the car together and he threw his arm around my shoulders as the cold November air bit into my skin.

"Alpha we found this attached to one of our warriors. He was found dead running boarder watch."

I gasped as Jamal took the note. I peaked over to see what it read.

Dear my mate & her captor,
            My body yearns to touch you, I miss you so much. It hurts me deeply to know that you were stolen under my watch. But don't worry love, I will find you again and this time I won't lose you

      And to the captor, I will slit your throat and watch the life drain from your eyes. This is just a sign of what's to come. If you keep my mate any longer I will have to kill more than just one. And if it still doesn't get through your thick skull that she is MY mate, then I guess a war is exactly what you should expect.

~M

Chills ran down my back and I could feel a cold sweat break out on my body. Jamal began to growl deep in his throat. He ripped the paper up and began stalking into the woods. I reached out to grab his arm but the man grabbed me and shook his head.

I watched my mate disappear as a feeling of dread filled me.

I turned back and looked at the hand that was still clamped on my arm and then at his face. He let go of me as if he had touched fire and mumbled a sorry. "What's your name?" I asked him.

"I am Callen, beta of this pack." He stated proudly. He had a face that held tension, probably because the killing, but then his face held a bit of nervousness. Why would he be nervous? I thought. Maybe he was nervous because there could be a war or something, I thought. No, there is something about him that I sense is off. Stay away from him, for the sake of our pup. Lily replied.

I immediately walked around him and went in the house. I agree with my wolf. Something about him doesn't feel right. I rubbed my belly and decided to go up stairs and take a nap. I climbed up the stairs slowly, each creak sounding like a scream in the quiet house.

I turned the fan on and got under the fluffy covers, breathing in Jamal's scent of the pillow. It calmed my wolf a bit but she was still worried about her mate being killed out in the woods like that other were.

I had just began to doze off when I felt the bed dip and an arm wrap around my body. I snuggled deeper into Jamal as he whispered he was sorry. He kissed me on my forehead just before sleep took me over.