Chapter 2: The New Friend

(Photo of Julie above, again enjoy)

I woke up early the next morning. I couldn't sleep and it was all because of the only two people that I know in this forsaken place. They both had made mistakes when talked about the boss and his friend and more suspiciously tried to cover it up. Now, I am not one to snoop but if you give me a reason to I will.

Right after getting up, taking a bath and doing all the other necessities that I don't need to get into details about, I left my room, descended the stairs and took the hallway that leads to the kitchen. The bell for breakfast rung a while ago and that makes me approximately ten minutes late, so I'll probably get in a little trouble.

I opened the door and stopped suddenly when I see the Headmistress at the head of the table. My eyes widened and I tried to as discreetly as possible make my way to a chair beside Julie. I realize that Ms. Stevens has been glaring at me intensely the whole time and I smiled awkwardly at her while playing with my fingers.

I am currently still sitting around the table waiting for breakfast to be serve. What really puzzles me is that they ring the bell at 8:30 every morning, us girls are expected to show up on time every morning but then has to wait another thirty minutes before breakfast is to be served. Like seriously, where is the gumption people?

"Miss Henson, may I have a word please", the Headmistress asks and I freeze while nervously looking around.

I stand up and quickly follow the Headmistress who stops right in the hall staring at me as I come to a stop right before her. I look at her and she clears her throat before speaking softly yet clearly.

" I've been hearing a lot of complaints about you over the last couple of weeks Gemma, would you care to explain what's going on? " She asks staring at me intensely. My gaze shifts to my ballet flats which suddenly seems very interesting.

"You have frequently been late to meetings and lunch periods, sometimes you don't go at all. What's going on with you Gemma?" She captures  my chin in her palm and brings my head upwards so that my eyes are level with hers. She stared at me intensely, coercing me to speak. I gulp and she releases her hold on my face and instead takes my hands.

"No-no-nothing Ms. Hemshire, I am just missing my parents a lot. It's not a big deal. I assure you I will turn up on time in the future", I stutter out giving her the best smile I can make at the moment. She smiles and starts to walk still holding onto my hands.

" I want to speak with you later, we have important matters to discuss, come to my office at four and don't be late ", she says pulling me into the kitchen. I laugh dryly, I'll try my best to get there in time.

                              *****
"What was that about, you both were gone for a good twenty minutes?", asks the very inquisitive Julie. She has been pestering me for a while now, ever since we got out from breakfast half an hour ago. I refused to answer her then and I refuse to answer her then and I refuse to answer her now. We are both sitting in her room reading some magazines, or at least I am trying to while she is just talking nonstop. We are not the best of friends but it's safe to say we find each other bearable to be around occasionally.

"Ohh, I get it", she suddenly says right into my ears. I look up from the very interesting magazine cover that I was about to open to find her staring at me with her big brown eyes. Her blonde hair has a rich colour, if that even makes any sense, and it flows down to her back in light wavy curls. Her lips are coated light red, but I don't see why she's wearing any, for one; there are no boys or men here to impress, and two; she would still look beautiful without it. She has on a white shirt, which is very cute I must say, paired with light blue shorts.