Chapter 21: Death

Gemma's POV

Right after Runner Payne graced us with his unexpected visit, Druce, being the Alpha, was quick to rush out the door to see what was going on.

But, not before he specifically told me, no, before he specifically begged me to not leave the house and to stay with Aunt May until he returns.

But we all know that didn't happen. In fact, I am currently leaving Druce's house, having already dodged Aunt May and on my way to the center of the chaos, where all the pack members are gathered.

Now, don't get me wrong. Druce told me not to leave the house, but the thing is, I didn't say I wouldn't.

So you see, I am doing nothing wrong. I am free to go as I please, return before he does and ta-da! He knows nothing.

So, being the loving mate that I am, I will make sure that he doesn't find out that I left so then he won't be hurt or worst disappointed.

After all, I have to find the culprit that is threatening to attack my pack, with or without Druce's help.

I make my way down the path that leads to the pack houses, occasionally looking behind me in case Aunt May figures out that I left a long while ago.

Besides, who takes half an hour to urinate?

I reach the start of the path to Druce's house and look at the fussing crowd that is gradually increasing in front of the purple painted house, the Gamma's house I think.

I walk the path to the crowd, pushing my way through, since I am so much smaller than everyone else here, to see what they are fussing about.

And just as I bore my way through the thick crowd and look down, following everyone's line of vision, I see the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

There lies a man, a corpse really, in a pool of his own blood, dead. His entire throat is gone, almost as if it was ripped out by hands, or possibly teeth. His face is consumed in fear, obviously the thing that did this was either an animal, or an emotionless monster who can evoke fear in anyone it comes across.

But that isn't what causes me to do what I do next. No, it is the fact that the dead man is in fact Chef Jeff. It is the fact that, just above his body is a message, a message written by his blood in messy sprawling, a message that clearly says, I will be coming for her Alpha Druce. I will get her very soon, and then I will kill her along with you and then take your pack, what's left of it that is. – JR.

What? Who the fuck is JR?

And just then as everything sinks in and realization finally dawns on me, a high pitched, ear piercing scream is heard and I realize that it came from me. It is so loud that everyone around me has to cover their ears with both hands, and me, not used to so much attention, desperately tries to force me way through the thinning crowd, all the while still screaming.

I run all the way back to the path that leads to Druce's house, not looking where I am going, until I crash violently into a rock, solid chest, causing me to stumble backwards and measly fall helplessly to the ground.

Soon a dark shadow towers over me, smirking down at me evilly and I can't help but to think that this threatening person above me is in fact the one and only, JR.

I watch as his face contorts into one of complete and utter hatred for me and my mate, but then he smiles, his evil, sadistic expression gone in a flash, too quick that I almost believe I made it up from being afraid.

I change my mind, Druce can handle situations like these. I don't need to get involved. Call me a coward whatever, but you don't see what I see.

The man moves towards me, going on his knee and I pull back from him, utterly petrified.