Chapter 22: Never Say Never

Druce's POV

Gemma has been sleeping for over two hours now. After finding her sleeping body on the ground, I took her to the pack doctor who told me that she is going to be fine.

I was more relieved than I can say because I don't know what I would've done if she wasn't.

She is sleeping soundlessly in our room, I didn't want to leave her in that uncomfortable hospital bed. She will be more comfortable here, where she belongs.

I have been focused solely on the weird, unrecognizable scent that I had smelled on Gemma when I found her.

Who could this person be? Who is this JR?

Every possible answer that I came up with was a big disappointment. Nothing connects.

I've never come across a JR, who is a rogue in my entire time as Alpha. I've never came into a feud with one either.

So who could this infuriating, malevolent monster be?

But...

What if I am looking at this the wrong way? What if this person isn't a rogue, but a part of a pack or maybe some other species entirely?

Surely that would explain a lot. I mean, I did come in contact with a whole lot of rogues and packs with evil intentions. I did destroy a lot of packs, some deserving of the destruction and some not.

But other species, that is a definite no. At least none that I have recognized as being different.

This will certainly explain a lot. It will explain why I didn't pick up the scent of a werewolf around Gemma. It would explain why no one really got the scent of an intruder.

But, is it possible? Are there other supernatural that I don't know of?

I scratch my hurting head angrily. So many questions, no answers.

I am getting more and more frustrated with so many unanswered questions. I get up from my comfortable chair around my large desk that has files upon files scattered everywhere. I have drawn up files on every rogue hide out near my pack and packs that I have come across in my previous years.

Alpha, we found something. I figure you will want to see this. Payne says through the mind-link, causing my head to pound even harder than before.

Where? I ask into the link, not in the mood for long conversations. I want to get this over with as soon as possible so I can get back to Gemma. I can't entrust her in anyone's protection but my own. At least not right now.

At the east side of the border Alpha. Came his quick reply and I nod my head assessing his reply.

It makes sense that they would enter using the east side. Most of our Runners are placed at the north and south end of the border. That means that this person knows much more about my pack than I originally thought, or could it be that they had some help from one of my pack member. But, who could it be?

For one, it is definitely not Payne or Bryce. They have too much to lose if they betray me.

Seems that this person is much shrewder than I am giving him credit for.

Okay I'll be there. Give me two minutes. I reply as I walk through my office door. I walk down the hall to my bedroom, making sure to check up on Gemma before I go.

She is still sleeping, but now she is wrapped up in the sheet with her face buried deep into it. I watch as she drags in a long, loud breath of fresh air.