Chapter 12. Happy Birthday Emma

Emma's POV

The library hall was quiet. I had picked the last one and I was leaning against a shelf while sitting on the floor. I was the only one in here and I had managed to keep myself here for the past four hours.

My phone was on airplane mode so I wouldn't receive any calls and the music was playing loud through my earphones, blocking out the rest of the world. I had a book in front of me which I had no idea what was about, but it was enough to make it look like I was reading it and giving it my full attention.

It was convincing enough.

I had been looking at the same page for the past few hours though, still completely oblivious to what was written on those pages.

I was almost ready to show up at my classes this morning, ready for the birthday wishes to come by the people closest to me, but I couldn't bring myself to do it when it was time.

So instead of celebrating my birthday, I'm in a goddamn library trying to keep myself from crying-and failing. Just trying to block out of the world.

The only people I have spoken with are my parents. Mom woke me up today so they could wish me Happy Birthday. Lexi and I faced timed too when she was leaving for school but other than that I refused to talk to anyone else.

Not Lucas, not Demi, not Nate...not anyone.

I didn't want to see anyone.
I just wanted to be alone.

A person sat down on the floor next to me and ripped my earphones out of my ears. "What do you think you're doing?"

My eyes didn't leave the book. "I'm studying Nate, if it isn't obvious."

"Oh really?" Nate asked grabbing the book from my hands and making me look at him. He examined the book and handed it back to me. "I didn't know you were into Applied Micro-Biology."

I shrugged and placed my earphones back into my ears.

He took them out once again. "Everyone's been looking for you."

I let out a heavy breath.
"You can let them know I'm okay. I'm studying, in case you didn't notice, and I would appreciate it if no one disturbed me."

"So, you expect me to believe that you're suddenly into biology for gradschoolers..."

"Knowlegde is never enough."

"Cut the bullshit Emma." he said grabbing the book once again and placing it on his lap. His hand then went on my chin, making me look up at him. "Don't shut me out, talk to me." He pleaded.

I looked away from him refusing to let mt vulnerability show "There's nothing to talk about."

"You're in a library, on your birthday, and you expect me to let it go like that and believe everything's okay?"

I scoffed "It's not my birthday."

"Em." He said with a sigh.

"Don't Em me. You know it's not my birthday."

"But it is." He said wrapping his arms around me pulling me in for a hug. "It's the day your parents found you, a new life got started that day." He kissed my hair "You're happy with your life isn't right?"

"Generally speaking, yes I am." I mumbled.

"Then I don't know why you shouldn't celebrate it."

His words were like a slap back to reality. I shouldn't whine about what I don't have, but instead, I should be grateful for what I do have.