Chapter 18. Part 2. The aftermath

Emma's POV

The days that followed the kiss with Nate were an emotional roller coaster for me.

I was happy that we kissed, over the moon actually, then I was anxious about our friendship and then sad that he didn't text or call me.

But the kiss was really something, I can't deny that.

After leaving Nate's building and realizing that my bestfriend had kissed me and that I had kissed him back, I kept touching my lips trying to hold on to the moment that we shared.

The way he held me close to him, the way he held my face and the way his lips captured mine making me feel butteflies in my stomach.

The stupid love struck smile vanished from my face the same day though. Nate didn't call or text like he said he would.

And that's when the not so happy thoughts started and that's when I knew I had to tell someone about the kiss. After all, what if he was having second thoughts about the kiss? What if he regreted it and doesn't know how to tell me? What if I'm a bad kisser and he'd rather we stayed friends?

With all those thoughts and feelings eating me alive, the next morning I decided to call Demi, Stella and even Charlotte.

The three of them made it to my appartment but none of them was surprised when I told them about the kiss. They all agreed that it was something that I was the only one who didn't see coming.

Charlotte also told me that Nate had called James that morning to tell him that it was all settled in and that made me feel even worse.

The girls might have seen the kiss coming but none of them could explain why he wouldn't call or even text me.

Stella and Emma decided to join me and stay with me at the door for the next days. To my surprise Charlotte did too. So when me and Charlotte weren't working at the diner the four of us laid around all day, complained about guys and did girly stuff.

Stella was still mad at Chris for not talking to her about their kiss, Demi was fighting with McGrumpy and I was confused as hell about what was going on in my life. Charlotte's personal life was great but she still choose to stay so we could all whine together.

The third day I was better. I tried to shake off any thoughts about Nate and focused on my friends' love lives.

Demi and Alex had their first fight as a couple. But after some talking she was convinced to let his stubborness pass by and make up with him so she left to find him.

Charlotte decided to go back to her appartment on Sunday too and Stella left later in the day.

Monday was the day Nate was coming back and we'd all get together at Stella's place before going out so I had to brace myself for what was coming.

What I didn't see coming was the text I received on Monday around noon.

The second I read the I missed you part I broke into a huge grin. I remained looking at my phone probably longer than I should have.

It was just a text, don't get ahead of yourself Emma.

Oh screw it, get ahead of youself.

I looked at the time, I should be at Stella's place around half past four. It gives me just enough time to grab something to eat, have a shower, and get ready.

After having lunch and getting all cleaned up, I started panicking.

What should I wear?

The guy has seen you right when you've woken up, I don't think he will pay attention to what you'll be wearing. The rational voice in my head arrgued and I couldn't help but agree. It's Nate we're talking about, he won't mind.

I chose to keep my outfit casual, and since it was still pretty hot outside I went for a pair of shorts. I threw on a white tanktop and a grey patterened kimono-like cardigan. Lastly I put on a pair of black high heeled booties.

I looked myself in the mirror and for the first time in a long time I actually believed that everything would work out. I felt confident and optimistic.

Waiting for Nate in Stella's place was plain torture. The girls knew why I was nervous, hell James probably knew too but no one said a word to me about that, which I apreciated.

The light breeze was just what I needed while being seated at the back patio of Stella's place. Time eventually went by but Nate never came.

6:00 no sign of him.

Hm, his plane must be late.

6:30 still no sign of him.

James tried caling him by the time the clock hit 7:30 but had no luck. His phone was turned off.

AT 8:30 James' phone went off and I honestly wish it never had.

"Mrs S?" James asked after picking up his phone and I gave him a closer look while sitting up straighter on my chair, trying to understand why Nate's mom would call James. "Slow down Mrs Stone, I can't understand what you're saying." He paused and his expresion changed after listening to what she had said. "We' ll leave right away. Whoever gets there first calls the other."

James stuffed his phone in his pockets and looked at me.

I stood up, alarmed "What's going on James? What did Nate's mom want?"

James gave me an apologetic look and he ran a hand through his hair. He looked around him All eyes were on him. "We have to get going. Grab your things."

"Where to?" I demanded "What's going on? Stop mincing your words."

He looked at me "Emma... we have to get going because" He paused and then looked at me "Nate had an accident. He's in the hospital."  

*****

Tiny update but still an update. Though no one seemed to mind that I hadn't updated in a while. Despite the nausea I'm feeling, today I woke up with an urge to update, so I did.

Friendly advice, don't drink a lot of wine if you have a sensitive stomach.

So yeah, Nate's in the hospital. Thoughts on that?

Leave a comment and vote.