Chapter 17. A Different Birthday Celebration

Emma's POV

"I'm gonna kill you if you ever do this to me again." Demi said hugging me tightly "I hate you." She frowned pulling away.

"Don't be so dramatic Dem." I said chuckling.

"Dramatic?" She asked, her jaw dropping "You said you'd be gone for a week Emma. In case you haven't noticed you left on July 11th and it's August 7th." She said now glaring at me

I shrugged my shoulders "Well I'm not gonna apologize for wanting to spend time with my family."

"I'm not asking you to Em. I just missed you. Come on now. Let's get going." She said pulling me with her.

I looked out of the window while Demi drove to my dorm.

I did stay a while longer with my parents and Lexi, it's true, but I needed it, and now I feel brand new. Plus, summer vacation in my home town is the best.

It was my way of trying to not think too much about the thing with Nate, being away helped me realize that it was a stupid crush.

He's my friend, nothing can happen between us and nothing will.

Of course we've talked this past month, I didn't disappear, but he still believes that I don't remember what happened in James' room.

And honestly, it's better that way.

"We'll make a stop at Stella's first. Everyone's there and they want to see you." Demi said making me snap out of my thoughts and look at her.

"What?"

"I said we'll stop at Stella's. Alex offered to help and we'll have some barbeque. A get together since you're back." She explained

"You didn't need to go through that trouble guys." I said feeling bad that they thought they needed to do something like that just because I was back.

"Shut up. We all missed you. It's okay. It's an apportunity to have fun."

"Fine." I said "But you really didn't need to do this." She glared at me "Fine. I'll shut up now."

"Oh by the way, have you talked to Nathan?"

"Yeah a few times, why?" I asked curiously

"Did he say if anything is bothering him. He just seems off the past weeks."

"No, he didn't mention anything. But I'll ask him." I assured her

"Alright."

"So." I said with a smirk "How are you and McGrumpy going?"

"Welcome back." Stella said once we pulled away from our hug.

"God you guys, if I knew you'd miss me that much I would have gotten back here sooner." I said with a chuckle

"Of course we missed you Emma. Things are dull without you around, especially since someone" she said glaring at Demi "...is occupied all the fucking time."

Demi gave her an innocent smile and Stella shook her head chuckling.

"Let's get to the back. I'm afraid they will burn our food if I'm not there to supervise them." Stella said motioning me to follow them.

I could make out McGrumpy's, James' and Nate's figures as I walked towards the back patio.

My eyes stayed on Nate though.

His lips curved into a smile "Look who decided to do us the honor of coming back." He said walking up to me and pulling me in for a hug.

Okay, there goes all my rational thinking for the past month.