Chapter 21. Part 1. The Ugly Truth

Emma's POV

Dear Mr and Mrs Greene,

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Caroline Harris and 20 years ago on a rainy night of February I stood a few feet away from your building and watched as you found my daughter and took her in. A baby girl by the name Emmalyn.

I know you probably didn't notice the figure watching you, but I stood there until my daughter was with the people I intended her to be in the first place.

How you might ask.
I had overheard a conversation of Mrs Greene saying that you were a couple that loved kids but wasn't able to have one no matter how hard you tried. I saw an opportunity and took it. You would get a child and I, wouldn't have to make another person miserable by dooming her with a mother that could barely take care of her self, let alone another person.

I have no idea if you actually raised my daughter or not, but contacting you is a place to start.

There are so many things I'd like to explain, especially to her.

I know I'm late. I know I don't deserve to walk in her life -or yours- all of a sudden. I don't deserve to have her look at me or think of me but, she's my daughter and if you are okay with it, more importantly, if she's okay with it I'd like to meet her.

It would mean the world to me if you gave me a chance and contacted me on this number.

876-321-6620

I'm truly sorry about everything.

Caroline Harris.

I read the words trying to undestand what was happening.

I'm sleeping aren't I? I will wake up and realize that this is another sick nightmare.

This isn't happening, this can't be happening.

I looked at my mother who was observing my every move. My hand clenched the paper "This is a joke isn't it? Please tell me this is a joke mom!" I demanded

She rubbed my back "It's not. It's your mother."

"Don't say that." I said getting up from my bed "That woman is not my mother. Unless you all of a sudden realized you no longer wish for me to be a part of this family."

She stood up as well "No. Of course not. Please don't say things like that Emma."

I looked at the paper "She keeps reffering to me as her daughter. I'm not her daughter."

My mom pulled me in a a hug caressing my back and I started sobbing "Why?" I said with tears streaming down my face "Why did she have to send this letter? Why after 20 fucking years?"

My mom pulled away "There's something else you should know too."

"What?"

"I called her. I talked to her."

"What? Why?" I asked "Why would you do that mom?"

"Because I needed to." She said, tears started oozing out of her eyes as well. "That woman, gave me the greatest gift... she made me a mother, but she also created a hole in your heart I was never able to fill. I needed to know her side of the story."

"Well I don't!!" I yelled "She was right about one thing. Two actually. She is late. And she sure as hell doen't deserve to have a place in my life."

"Emma-" My mother started but I cut her off

"No." I looked around "I need some air. I feel like I can't breath." I ran both my hands through my hair "I'll just...uh- I'll take a walk and I'll be back. I'm sorry." I said before walking out of my dorm.