Chapter 18

CONTENT WARNING: STRONG MATURE CONTENT. Read at your discretion.

All the events described are fictional and bear no resemblance to any person living or dead.

"Why didn't you tell me, mom?" I asked her as we were preparing for dinner.

"What?"

"Grandfather, I thought he was dead".

"He is," mom said

"I don't mean figuratively." I didn't like talking about this to mom as I knew it would have hurt her talking about a father who left her in infancy. I couldn't even fathom the pain. But I had to know the truth. It was the first time in my life I came across a betrayal. In my world, all husbands loved their wives and lovers didn't turn their back on their loved ones'. Like Salman, he had called Farah assuring he will find a way out. It was my morbid curiosity to know in what circumstances and why did my grandfather leave his wife and daughter.

"He is dead," mom said looking towards me "I got the news when you were five."

"How? Did you ever meet him?"

"Cardiac arrest. Now I don't want you to talk about this. And remember never take this topic out in front of your grandmother. I don't want to open her old wounds."

"Keep these plates on the dining table and call Farah and your dad for dinner."

"Okay," I said holding plates. "Mom" I had to talk about it.

"Yes?"

"I don't want to continue tuition."

"Why? Your exams are so near, it's just a matter of a few days."

"I know," I said hesitating I didn't have any excuse

"Is everything alright?" Mom asked

"Yes." I shifted on my legs I was thinking "I will be with Farah for a few days. She needs my support". I managed to say.

"I know, poor soul, just one mistake and your whole life in jeopardy. Okay, don't go till she is at our home."

"Thanks," I said hugging her. I was relieved for now. I was sure he wouldn't say or do anything in school.

"Why don't you both go to school tomorrow?" Mom suggested at dinner. "It will take your mind off the things if you are busy."

"Okay" Farah replied eagerly, "I think it's a good idea."

"Salman said he will come to meet me after school tomorrow," Farah said when we were back in my room. "I hope he has a solution."

We both had such opposite circumstances she wanted to be with her boyfriend and I dreaded seeing mine. At least everyone knew about her unlike me who was miserable alone. Under other circumstances, I would have shared everything at least with one soul but Farah's matter being blown out of proportion I had to keep mine within myself. I didn't feel like burdening anyone anymore.

"What did Salman say about Uzma?" I asked. "What is she saying about all this?"

"He said she is not saying anything, not involving in any kind of discussion with anyone" Farah sighed. I knew she felt guilty about ruining their friendship. "This was not the way I thought I would be with Salman. I always dreamed that I would get a real family when I marry him, unlike mine."

"It's okay" I assured Farah "give them some time; this is all too shocking for them. I am sure they will come around."

"Hope so," she said lying on the bed. She drifted to sleep as I lay awake thinking about facing Rizwan tomorrow.