Chapter 32

Placing the bracelet on a black cloth I clicked a snap. The black background made the stones on it glitter even more. I had brought these bracelets and rings home which Farah made as a hobby in her spare time saying that I wanted to wear them but my real plan was to sell them on e-commerce sites to help her earn money. Not wanting to raise any false hopes in Farah until I was sure it could be done, I didn't inform her. I just prayed that it worked out. I finished clicking pictures of rest of them and started uploading on e bay, Amazon and Craftsvilla after making accounts on each of them.

Uzma had still not forgiven Farah and they were not on speaking terms. When I asked Uzma about it she blamed Farah for shattering her dreams. She didn't want to marry but had to because her father wouldn't listen. When she tried to reason with him, he cited the example of Farah and said he wouldn't risk his reputation by letting her continue studies. "It's only because of her," she said "otherwise I would have been in medical college now. I can never forgive her for ruining my life behind my back"

"But it's been three years," I reasoned.

"Three years of doing nothing," she shouted making me flinch "all I do these days is to cook and take care of kids. You knew me, Maria," she said pointing her finger towards me "I had dreams. I wanted to be something in my life. I never wanted this kind of existence."

"But you would have married someday," I tried to make her understand.

"Yes, someday," she said "but not at the cost of my dreams"

"But"

She stopped me before I could complete my sentence.

"The only reason I see her face is because of my mother," she said wiping her tears "So never ask me to forgive her. I can't."

That made me silent. I could only hope that her anger would subside with time and we could return back to the glory days of our friendship.

There was a knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in," I said coming back from my thoughts. "Raafay came to see you," mom said at the door.

"Okay," I said. "I am coming," I turned off the laptop and went to meet him.

There was a sweet box on the table and mom was congratulating him on something.

"What is it?" I asked sitting beside mom.

"Good news," Raafay said.

"Don't tell me you are going to be a father," I blurted.

Both of them looked at me, and then looked at each other confusion written all over their faces. I tried to keep a serious face but burst out laughing.

"Maria," mom reprimanded and then smiled. Raafay joined shaking his head. "You always take me by surprise"

"What is it?" I asked sobering down.

"Raafay started his own company" mom informed

"Oh, congratulations"

"Thanks," he said "I have been looking for investors for some time now but my colleague and I have decided to start on our own."

"What is it about?" I asked

"It's a web development company."

"Okay," I drawled as I had nil knowledge of what it meant.

"We develop websites and apps," he said guessing my ignorance.

"Well, all the best," I said giving him thumbs up.

"May you find success," mom blessed him

"Thanks, aunt. I need all the blessings in this world," He replied.

"Don't worry you will be fine," I assured.

It had been two days since I had uploaded Farah's accessories but there wasn't a single sale as I checked it for the hundredth time. I was getting up dejected when my eyes landed on the first sale. It was on Amazon and I felt that my heart would leap out of my chest. I jumped in excitement shouting. Mom came inside my room "what is it, Maria?" She asked seeing me jumping on my bed.

I ran towards her and hugged her.

"What happened?" Mom asked unable to comprehend my behavior. Showing my laptop I explained her everything.

"That's a good idea" she appreciated. "Why didn't you tell Farah about it?"

"I want to give her surprise," I admitted.

"Okay all the best," she encouraged

I was asked to link a bank account to Amazon and was given the shipping address for the bracelet. I gave mom's account no as I didn't have my own. Mom accompanied me to the post office to send the bracelet which I had packed. I received two hundred rupees for it after a week. Sales began to pick up from all the three sites and within a month the whole collection of fifty bracelets excluding finger rings was sold out.

Standing at Farah's door I counted five thousand rupees again unable to believe it myself. She opened the door and gave me a curious glare as I didn't stop smiling.

"Here," I said giving her the cover

She took it asking "what is it?"

Her eyes widened seeing the money. "Why are you giving me this?" She asked returning the cover. "I don't want to take help from you."

"It's yours," I said.

"What?" She asked confused.

"Yes," I assured her "it's your money. I sold your bracelets."

She opened her mouth and then closed it unable to say anything.

"Take me to your room. I will explain," I said.

"Oh sorry," she said moving from the door. "Come in"

Aunt was in the kitchen preparing something as I greeted her. Farah nudged me and we went straight to her room. Opening her laptop I showed her how it was her money. She had a hard time believing it, when she did the first thing she said was "how the hell I didn't get that idea before?"

"All it matters is you have it now. Now you know how you can earn." I said

"Thank you, Maria," she said looking at me from the laptop.

Salman entered the room wearing a white Kurta Pyjama playing with his son in his arms.

"Oh, hi," he said noticing me. I gazed down at the floor. Not knowing what else to do. "How are you?" he asked.

But the air in my lungs refused to form any words. I kept staring down at the floor not answering him. Saving me Farah interjected "Why don't you sit in the living room? We will be there in a few minutes."

"Okay," he said moving out. Seeing him leave I was able to breathe again

"Are you alright?" Farah asked

"Yes," I said wiping the sweat on my forehead. "I will leave now"

"Have something and go," she offered.

"Maybe next time," I said. I left her home from the backdoor as I didn't want to meet her husband and father in law who had just returned from the Friday prayer. Men still made me uncomfortable and I didn't know how to get over that feeling.

Next day, Farah came to my home with a box full of raw material.

"We need to get to work," she announced.

It was the start of a new beginning in our life.