Chapter 47

"Assalamualikum aunty, "I said as Raafay's mother picked up the call.

"Waleikumsalam beta. How are you? Is everything alright" she asked in a worried tone.

It was expected as I had never called them after our last encounter, but now it was necessary. I wanted to know the whereabouts of Raafay and she was the only person who would exactly where he was.

Collecting my bag which took its sweet time to show up at the baggage counter in India, I said, "I am fine aunty, how are you?"

"I am fine too." She replied.

"Can I ask you something?" I said my feet moving faster than my words.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"I wanted to know where Raafay is."

"I sent him to office," she said in a disappointed tone. "Literally had to push him to go, Wish I could get the old Raafay back. He isn't the same since that day."

"He will be now," I said getting into the cab.

"What is it? She asked. "Where are you?"

"I will let you know." I said, "Will call you back, bye."

I ended the call before she could reply. I wanted it to be a surprise. I didn't know what I would say to Raafay or anyone. I just wanted to see him.

My legs were shaking in tension, I checked my look in the mirror, all the stress of the flight was showing on my face but I couldn't care less.

The watchman opened the door as my cab stopped in front of his office. It was a huge building with mirrors reflecting sunlight at the front.

"Keep the change," I said giving the driver cash.

I began running though I had no idea where his cabin was, I had never been here.

"Hey wait' someone kept a hand in front of me.

"Who are you? Why are you running like this?" It was an elderly woman wearing a cream-colored saree, her hair knotted in a bun. Her face was like that of a disciplinarian.

"I am sorry," I said, "I need to see Raafay, do you know where his cabin is?"

"Who are you?" she asked again. "And why do you want to see Mr.Raafay?"

"I am his friend, Maria."

"He is in a meeting right now. Will let him know you are here once he finishes it."

"What?" I yelled drawing the looks of everyone on the floor. " Let him know I am here even if he is in the meeting."

"Sorry, can't disturb, you can wait in the lounge area." She said going back at her desk.

Dejected I sat on the sofa, my feet doing a tap dance on the marble floor. There was a huge MF Hussain painting on the opposite wall. The reception area was divided from the rest of the office by a glass wall. People working behind them were visible through it. They were all engrossed in their work. Many minutes passed by and I felt out of place and began wondering if I was doing the right thing, coming to his office all of a sudden.

I got up from my place, dragging the bag behind me, ready to go, when I heard my name, "Maria."

I looked ahead to see a man coming towards me. I recognized him to be a colleague of Raafay, we had met at a party.

"Hey," I said, trying hard to put a name to the face.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Ah," I looked down at my feet. Even I didn't know what I was doing, standing in the middle of his office.